help with 12" displays

used2sail

Reaction score
Has anyone fit 2 12' displays in a 2006 282 sailfish helm station?? I have one raymarine E127 display in there now and I'd like to have a second one but it looks to be very, very close on whether or not it will fit. Any suggestions or experience you'd care to share would be appreciated!

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I have a smaller 228 and what I did was to have the compartment covered up and mounted a display and radio there like so and stick the 2nd screen up in one of the cubby holes. That 2nd screen works extremely well for fishing, I put the fish finder on it and I can see it from the helm and the deck, it's shaded so it doesn't get washed out by the sun.
dash.jpgcubby.jpg

used2sail

Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid putting the second display in the upper electronics box. I've seen one picture somewhere on the internet of a sailfish with 2 12" screens in the dash but it looks tight as hell. I'm not near my boat but once i get up there this week I'll take some measurements and I'm betting you'd need to push the 2 screens to the extreme edge of the dash. I made the initial post after seeing a display that matched my existing unit nicely for a stupid cheap asking price.Needless to say thats been sold but I am still looking at addition displays.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm trying to avoid putting the second display in the upper electronics box.
Huh, care to say why? Need the space for something else? I've found that mounting it pretty far forward, I stuff the display covers, power cords for my electric reels, an extra power connector and a bunch of other crud in there just fine.

If you fish, having it up there is great. No sun washing out the screen.

But to each their own, I'm not trying to convince you, just letting you know it has worked well for me. I did a 9 inch up there.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I did a 9" and a 12" on my 282 Sailfish, A 2002. I think 2 - 12's will be really tight.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 12 inch and a marine radio in lower box and even installing them each spring is challenge. I used the upper box for radar and or fish finder. I do like the looks of the front mounted electornics on the lower boxes.

Peterb21

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Has anyone fit 2 12' displays in a 2006 282 sailfish helm station?? I have one raymarine E127 display in there now and I'd like to have a second one but it looks to be very, very close on whether or not it will fit. Any suggestions or experience you'd care to share would be appreciated!
I was able to fit 2 10” Garnin displays in my 2003 282. I tried to fit 12s but you will have to cut fiberglass to get them in. The 10s look and work great.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    923.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 17

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I was able to fit 2 10” Garnin displays in my 2003 282. I tried to fit 12s but you will have to cut fiberglass to get them in. The 10s look and work great.
If you go look at the Garmin specs, the 12s and 16s (86xx series) are actually the same or slightly lower resolution. So there isn't really any reason to go bigger than 10s. I'm very happy with my 8610xsv.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What is the width of real estate that you've got to put in the display screens? That, along with which units you decide on going with are going to be the biggest issues as your Raymarine E127, while being a 12" display, is actually almost 14" wide overall. So, putting two of those in there as opposed to another smaller 12" display, like the Garmin 8612xsv for example at only 11.9" wide, is going to make for a rather large difference at over 2" each. I'd make up a cardboard cutout for the dimensions of whichever displays you want to use and then go from there to see if it'll fit.

used2sail

Reaction score
I found a picture of the dash area I'm working with. I'll be at the boat this weekend and I can get some actual measurements. The photo makes it look very close to get a second matching display in there. Could a second display be added from a different manufacturer? I was concerned about having different update versions of lighthouse not working well together, I dont see how a garmin or simrad would work on the same network. I'm looking to add a second display so i can have radar or sonar or engine data up while the chart plotter is up on the other display. I've been fogged in in the past and I'd like to be able to have radar and charts/GPS available at the same time but i dont want to replace all the electronics just to do it. I'd go with a smaller Raymarine display as the second if i had to. Id like to avoid the electronics box as we keep a bunch of things in there that we'd have to relocate and storage real estate is pretty thin already.IMG_0183.jpeg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It appears, though it could just be the picture, but that your carbon fiber insert below is roughly the same size as the section above and that your Raymarine MFD is over the approximate centerline of the carbon fiber piece below where it says "282". This would make me think that you won't be able to make it work with your current setup. Though if you were able to move over your current Raymarine MFD a few inches to the left then that might make for a different story. I'd get some measurements and figure out approximately which models/brands of MFD's you want to get first and then go from there.

used2sail

Reaction score
the existing display would definately have to go to the left, probably to the edge to get a second one in there. i'd end up going with a new overlay on the existing dash, i think thats a given if i put a second one in. A 9" might tuck in nicely below the VHF if a secoind 12 " won't fit.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
the existing display would definately have to go to the left, probably to the edge to get a second one in there. i'd end up going with a new overlay on the existing dash, i think thats a given if i put a second one in. A 9" might tuck in nicely below the VHF if a secoind 12 " won't fit.
I'd ask PeterB21 above which model Garmin units he went with. If he was struggling getting 10" Garmin's in there then I have to imagine you'll likely be struggling that much more considering your 12" Raymarine is 14" wide x2. Which as I mentioned above, the Garmin 8612 is only 11.9" wide, so it might be worth considering something else if you're set on going with 12" displays.

used2sail

Reaction score
i looked this over and a second E 127 would not fit. If i were to use displays fo that vintage it would have to be a 9"