Help with 232 Gulfstream

PaPaBear69

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi, I recently bought a 99 232 Gulfstream with a 250hp Yamaha OX66 that runs great except it won't stay on plane below 4100 RPM. It has no problem turning 5400 RPM. It came with a SS 15-1/4" X 17" prop. It also has a spare 15-1/4"x 15" aluminum prop that I installed but it didn't seem to make any difference! I'm trying to find the right combination that will allow me to stay on plane at 3500-3800 RPM. I'm considering a 4 blade prop but they're not cheap so that's why I'm reaching out to this group to learn if anyone can point me in the right direction! Any & all help will be greatly appreciated!

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I think you are spot on with 4 blade… many folks here have consulted with Ken at Prop gods and gotten the desired results with him

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First boat, or experienced boater ? A four blade prop may give you a noticeable change, but it won’t be a dramatic change in my experience. Given your numbers, you need a dramatic change.
How is your engine trimmed? Are you using trim tabs? Is the boat’s bottom clean? How confident are you in your tachometer?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Talk to Ken at propgods.com - My 4-blades were a game changer. Dropped 2" of pitch without any loss of top end and got a nice mid-range. If the props are seriously overloaded and slipping the change is worth it.

Reactions: coldpizza

PaPaBear69

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
First boat, or experienced boater ? A four blade prop may give you a noticeable change, but it won’t be a dramatic change in my experience. Given your numbers, you need a dramatic change.
How is your engine trimmed? Are you using trim tabs? Is the boat’s bottom clean? How confident are you in your tachometer?
I've owned boats since the 1950's, I've put bigger trim tabs on it, I'm very confident in the tach, the bottom is very clean as the boat is kept on a lift & no matter how I trim the motor it doesn't help & the motor has a "Whale Tale"!

vocz

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Gulfstream is a heavy/wide boat and under power for a single engine. I would try a Revolution 4 to help with hole shot, planning and cruising. I run a pair of Rev4 17” on my F225’s 265 and it’s a game changer.

Reactions: PaPaBear69

seasick

Reaction score
The revs are not as important as the speed you get at 4100 and lower revs. What is your speed at 5400?
Have you played with the motor trim (not the trim tabs)?

Reactions: PaPaBear69