help with a broken zipper tooth

engineersx2

GreatGrady Captain
without placing blaim on the admiral, with a chilly November breeze here in VA, someone pulled very hard on the aft zipper curtin and ended up beaking off a tooth of the zipper. I can not seem to get the zipper to move past the broken tooth, so the aft curtin will only zip down about half way.

our Grady is only a year old (not to say that matters in this case). Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix a broken zipper tooth? Is the only real fix to find someone with a sewing machine that can replace the zipper?

I would guess the best place to do that would be to look for someone who repairs sails for sailboats? Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ric

seasick

Call Grady. See what they can do for you. If that doesn't help, you will need to get the zipper replaced. Go to a canvas person.

fishingFINattic

I had a canvas guy replace EVERY zipper in my canvas on my 265 - it cost $350 bucks!
I bet he will order a direct length zipper and you will be good to go!
Tim

Sands

Chances are that, if it is only one broken tooth, that you can cut out the bad one. Just use a sharp pair of scissors and cut it carefully out. Since it sounds like it is in the middle, your zipper should just glide past the space. Use some vaseline or chapstick if needed.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Sands said:
Chances are that, if it is only one broken tooth, that you can cut out the bad one. Just use a sharp pair of scissors and cut it carefully out. Since it sounds like it is in the middle, your zipper should just glide past the space. Use some vaseline or chapstick if needed.

Have you actually tried this?
While the logic at first glance seems reasonable, in reality the teeth support each other once linked, so if one is missing then their neighbors won't line up correctly and the slide will jam every time.

And even if you did get past the broken tooth, since those nearby are now not supported the whole zipper is likely to come apart and then you have a real mess. None of this is something I would want to try to deal with when you really need your canvas. My vision is a blustery, rainy day, everything blowing everywhere, getting soaked...and cursing. :twisted:

I can't say for sure because I do my own work, but it would seem a competent canvas shop could replace a zipper in about an hour, so $60 an hour plus a $15 zipper = $75. To me would be worth it for piece of mind. They trim the teeth off the old one and sew the new one right on over the old one from the inside.

BTW, window replacements are done the same way - sew them right over the old one, cut the old one out at the edge.

seasick

Sands said:
CJBrown is correct. These zippers have interlocking teeth. If a tooth is missing, the zipper will separate at that spot when force is applied.
If you are sewing the new zipper to the old zipper edge, you can get away with sewing on a decent home machine using a jeans needle and heavy polyester thread (relatively speaking, it wont be the same thickness that normal canvas work would use) . If you have to sew through the canvas and the new and old zipper edge edge, an industrial machine is probably needed. You won't find these zippers at your local sewing store. If you decide to order a zipper, make sure you get the correct size and type. ( Zippers that come apart at both ends (like a jacket zipper) are called Separating zippers and can not be cut to length. You also need to select the type of pull ( one side or two sided).

If your canvas is valuable, you are better off taking it to a canvas shop.

Sands

I have tried this and it did work. In fact, this is the standard fix for a broken zipper. However, my broken tooth was at the end, which seems now like an easier fix. You just end up with slightly less zipper after cutting. Like the poster, i'd be certain that, of course, it would tear open right at the worst time with a tooth missing in the middle. All the other suggested fixes are good ones.