Help with a sale price

Thefishes540

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to sell my 1991 23 ft Grady Gulfstream with a 2003 yahmaha 250 hpdi. Motor has just under 700 hours and runs well. Boat has some swelling in the transom and does need work in that area. Other than the transom the boat is in good shape for the age. No trailer with it. With the transom issue I have no clue what to list the boat for. Was wondering if anyone had a possible suggestion as to what a fair starting price would be. Thanks!

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You'll need to post some pics of possible damaged areas of transom so we can see if complete transom needs replaced. Other than seeing it, check book price on boat and then deduct price of transom repair. Say roughly around 3-4 grand to have it done. Maybe more if bracket with twins needs removed/replaced, and stringers need work.

handinpalm

Reaction score
Look at prices in the Boat Trader, especially the ones in your area. That is what you are going to compete with.

Thefishes540

Reaction score
You'll need to post some pics of possible damaged areas of transom so we can see if complete transom needs replaced. Other than seeing it, check book price on boat and then deduct price of transom repair. Say roughly around 3-4 grand to have it done. Maybe more if bracket with twins needs removed/replaced, and stringers need work.
I'm assuming the transom needs replaced. If so do you think 6k would he out of line?

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You should definitely be able to have transom re-cored for $6k in my opinion. What model Gulfstream do you have? There were 4 different models ion 1991.

Thefishes540

Reaction score
You should definitely be able to have transom re-cored for $6k in my opinion. What model Gulfstream do you have? There were 4 different models ion 1991.
Gulfstream 232. Would a 6k as is sale price be a fair price in your opinion?

Thefishes540

Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. Where is boat located?
I feel like it's a good boat and the stringers and hull are solid but also understand with the transom most likely needing replaced it will be a tougher sell

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's why I asked location. At least you are in an area where someone interested could do repair right away. I'm across the state in Vero Beach. Some years back, I bought a 22' Grady Seafarer in Clearwater and replaced transom core. I also have a 232 Gulfstream with twin 150s now. Have you had an expert check transom for you? Also was it one of the recent storm damaged boats?

Thefishes540

Reaction score
No storm just water getting in it over time. We had one guy look at it and said he felt like the transom needed replaced. He never gave us an official quote. He said the stringers and hull appeared good.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well if I were you I'd take a lot of pics, and place some ads on craigslist, FB markekplace, and here and see if anyone is interested. These places are all free and maybe you'll find a nearby buyer. Be much easier if it had a trailer with it. Good luck with sale.

Thefishes540

Reaction score
Well if I were you I'd take a lot of pics, and place some ads on craigslist, FB markekplace, and here and see if anyone is interested. These places are all free and maybe you'll find a nearby buyer. Be much easier if it had a trailer with it. Good luck with sale.
Yeah I will probably do that and set it at 6k and go from there. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts

Reactions: VeroWing