Help with changing an impeller

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
In addition to my GW I have a 1987 Bass Tracker w/ a 35HP Mercury two stroke. Over the weekend I noticed the tell tale was non existent @ idle and only came up at higher RPM. Time to change the impeller. Is this a difficult job I should hire out or can I do it myself? I'm mechanically inclined but have never done it before. Can someone walk me through it? Thanks

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes it is a job you can do yourself if you are mechanically inclined, but I am not familiar with your particular model so it would be tough to walk through something I have not done, but this job is something you should be able to do with the right instruction. Best bet is to have someone local to you give you a hand the first time around and then you should be set there after, that is how I've learned over the years.

Brad1

Reaction score
If you are mechanically inclined, you should have no trouble changing an impeller. In fact, you will find it to be an easy job. I do my own impeller changes. Been doing them for about 25 yrs now. I even change 'em for friends and family's boats. One thing, get a service manual for that motor. If not the OEM, then at least a Seldec or Clymers. Though many motors are fundamentally the same when it comes to changing an impeller, there are subtle differences. For instance, shift linkage design is aspect typically varies. Besides, the manual will give you all the torque specs and show you where to apply the specific sealants and / or lubricants needed for the service. While it is an easy job, there are subtle (yet crucial) details that the manual will provide for you.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Impeller Replacement

Agree with Brad - Get a manual. For example, the manual for my engine is so detailed that it even gives the specific grade of Loc-tite to apply. Generally speaking, you probably will require a good grade of marine grease for inside the housing, something waterproof. You may even have that lube already. It will likely call for some kind of gasket compound as well. Rest easy - it's not the hardest job you'll ever perform on your boat. If you have all the parts and a buddy standing by, and no seized bolts, 1-2 hours max.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
JUST-IN-TIME said:
got a serial number

i might have a manual

or i can get you one close
My bad, I checked the registration for the serial # and it is a 1987 model serial# is 0B169986. Thanks for all your help!
P.S if you're from Oakland I just saw the Tower of Power in concert Friday night in Danville, Ky. My all time favorite band and a really great show!

Amigo

Reaction score
Check your local library for tech manuals. I found what I needed for my 17 year old Johnson at my small town library. They had quite a collection.