Help with deciding on a new Garmin unit and transducer

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I need some help. I need to upgrade my decade old Garmin 4208. I have dual frequency Digital GDS 22 Sounder and an airmar shoot thru hull or in hull 1kw transducer. I have a Garmin 24xhd radar. I am stuck.

I think max size of the screen is 10 inches. I will likely gimbal mount it. My budget is anything less than $1,900. Garmin makes a number of combo units with built in chirp Sounders. I

don't bottom fish a ton and I need a depth finder, but I don't really need a pan optix functionality. I want to keep my transducer as an in hull. Airmar 245 works buts it's $1,300. Both Garmin and Airmar make a 600 watt model that shoots thru the hull with chirp functionality. Is 600 watts enough?

What Garmin do any of you have with both MFD and Sounder built in? Is there one y'all would recommend? I don't really want a stern mount or in hull transducer. Any suggestions there? I only fish a few times a year and it's not on the budget to go MFD, Sounder and such. Thanks for ideas.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Smokey, I have a fairly new 7610vxs... was looking at getting a 2nd Garmin screen for the radar. I have not seen it, but am told they are pretty good. I am a Lowrance guy, always have been.. so they are new to me. The guy selling me the boat, and the research I have seen, says they do just about everything.

The Garmin 7410 looks like it is under your budget a little on Hodges. It has sidevue and such...hell, has 1KW power

Might be worth looking into. Honestly, I have the 7610 and have 2 thru-hull transducers on it, I am told.. heh.. so I seriously doubt it will not be able to do the same and, connects to nmea 2000... so.. probably fits the bill you need. Also fits the xhd

I am waiting till Monday, to see how large a 2nd screen I will be able to fit next to the 7610, hope like heck it will take a 2nd one, but may require a little glass work to redo the dash for that.... should be interesting though.. lol

GL bud.. wish I could offer real help.. but.. alas.. if it were Lowrance.. we would be easy peasy :(

Totally bet you could find a used one for under 1k though... if you wanted one.. I would have zero issue doing that myself.

R

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I also have an old(but very functional) 4208 and a gsd22 with an airmar thruhull.
I added a Garmin EchoMAP 94sv with the included transom mount GT51 transducer. That gets me CHIRP at various frequencies and SideVu.

They have a PLUS version and newest ones are touch screen(partly) I believe for $1099 list.
You can get the previous version of EchoMAP 94sv(9 inches) on sale for well under $1000. I've seen some as low as $699.
Its a real bargain when you get a GT51 included. Watch the price as these may or may not include a GT51 TM.

The transom mount GT51 gets you the SideVu and CHIRP at 600W. You can't use the SideVu with a shoot thru transducer.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You should give Gil Travis a call:

Gil Travis 1-800-925-0341
travis.g@sbcglobal.net

He's an old buddy from when I lived out west. Gil used to be in the submarine service and knows more about sonar systems that anybody I know. He sells most brands of MFD/fishfinder and transducers and he will steer you right.

He advertises on The Hull Truth and it's hard to beat his prices.

Semperfifishing

UCPA111

Reaction score
You should give Gil Travis a call:

Gil Travis 1-800-925-0341
travis.g@sbcglobal.net

He's an old buddy from when I lived out west. Gil used to be in the submarine service and knows more about sonar systems that anybody I know. He sells most brands of MFD/fishfinder and transducers and he will steer you right.

He advertises on The Hull Truth and it's hard to beat his prices.

Semperfifishing

I can vouch for Gil. I ordered my Garmin from him. Great guy. I ordered a 1042 XSV and GT51M-TH transducer. Very pleased.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My 4208 GPS side is messed up from my goof ball mistake last summer when I wired my batteries in parallel. The sonar and radar work fine, but the gps receiver is whacked out. It works for 10 seconds then stops for 10 Minutes. Then it will for a few seconds then it won't. It's good for a depth finder and that's about it . The radar works knowing what's around you but the gps and chart overlay is useless when the Unit is stuck with your position a few miles back. Lol. So, I need a new unit.

Thanks for the tip on the guy. I will provide him with my needs and see what he recommends. I really want to avoid drilling holes in my transom and my shoot through the hull transducer always holds the bottom even at 40 MPH. I would be happy to stay with a similar set up, though it would be chirp and not old school dual frequency.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does Garmin have a flat rate repair/replace? If you are happy with the unit, what about sending it back and getting it fixed?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Are you sure its the 4208 and not the GPS antenna? Which antenna do you have? Is it connected thru NMEA2k or NMEA0183?
I'm pretty sure the receiver is in the antenna.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Are you sure its the 4208 and not the GPS antenna? Which antenna do you have? Is it connected thru NMEA2k or NMEA0183?
I'm pretty sure the receiver is in the antenna.
I have the typical Garmin puck antenna mounted to the hardtop. My boat is in the shop getting some stuff worked on right now. I think it just plugs into the rear of the unit.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
They may look typical but they are not just an antenna. They are the receiver and they send position data over a network. The older ones connect thru the NMEA0183 so there is probably a cable under your dash with some pairs of wires twisted and taped or crimped. The same wires might be going to your VHF to give it position data. The colors mean something. there is a chart in the manual to tell you which is for what. Newer "antennas" like Garmin GPS17x or 19x use the NMEA2k data bus. If you are having problems I would trace the wires to the connections . The 2k versions are a much cleaner connection. The new 19x is $200+ but you might find a 17x for under $100.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
When mounting a side scan transducer, look at the stern mate website. Lots of good info on mounting and I'll vouch for their product, but there are others as well. No holes required in the transom.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Called Garmin today. They no longer offer repairs to GPSMAP 4000 series units. The guy said it might be software or the antenna. I have another one laying around from that era so it might be compatible.

I called Gil and the boat devil is sweet talking in my ear to upgrade all of it. I will think about it over the weekend. As Gil said there are 7 generations of sonar and GPS tech between what I have and what's available now. He said I could get the shoot through hull Garmin CHIRP transducer for about $149. It's 600 watts will hold bottom at 700-800 feet.

If I was a big bottom fisherman the appeal of side scan and panoptix tech would be huge for me. He said CHIRP tech would vastly improve my ability to see fish even on the troll.

He also suggested my GSD 22 digital Sounder would have some value selling it used with my airmar 260 dual band transducer.

Thank you all for your help. Keep the ideas coming.

Reactions: RussGW270

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
.... I have another one laying around from that era so it might be compatible.

You can use one of the newer ones that are NMEA 2k, The 4208 has 2k.
It will display your GSD22 sonar (or a new GSD24,25,26 CHIRP), radar, Chart, GPS position, engine data, AIS symbols , water temp graphs, log....I'm probably forgetting something...
It looks dated and it doesn't have touch screen. Its free.

The GSD22 50/200khz is nice to have as a backup. Its free.
I still prefer it over my CHIRP for general "looking around". Its better at finding schools of bait because you see a blob long before you see spots on the CHIRP.

I discussed the EchoMAP earlier. I do need to point out that it is a combo Chart/GPS/FF/ "sort of" Multifunction Display.
It will display its own sonar, Chart, GPS position, engine data, AIS symbols , water temp graphs, log, Autopilot.... but it will NOT display your radar.

wavetamer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This is what I did
on my 228 , Garmin7610xsv in upper box and a 7608xsv in the helm box , used starboard to mount internally so I could still use locking hatches7608.JPGDSC_0814.jpg

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
This is what I did
on my 228 , Garmin7610xsv in upper box and a 7608xsv in the helm box , used starboard to mount internally so I could still use locking hatchesView attachment 7037View attachment 7038

I have a brand new Garmin 54DV EchoMap that I was looking to sell if anyone is interested. Comes with screen cover, transducer, never used, everything complete in bags in box, Thanks.