Help with GT56 Transducer Location with Twins

wadeatl

Reaction score
Hoping for some guidance on where to place the Sternsaver and GT56 transducer on my 275. I was all set to mount just right of my drain plug. While I was getting ready to prep the area for the Sternsaver I noticed that the water pick ups are almost right inline with where I was going to place the transducer. Would you recommend moving further away from the drain plug where there be less disturbance?

Attachments

• IMG_20210221_151607653_HDR~3.jpg
    IMG_20210221_151607653_HDR~3.jpg
    965.8 KB · Views: 2

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You have twins and tabs.. so there is nowhere else to put it.
I have a GT51 there on my 265 express. I have the same two water pickups.
Works great off-plane....running not so much

I'm switching to a thruhull GT51 on the centerline this spring
IMG_0791.jpeg

wadeatl

Reaction score
You have twins and tabs.. so there is nowhere else to put it.
I have a GT51 there on my 265 express. I have the same two water pickups.
Works great off-plane....running not so much

I'm switching to a thruhull GT51 on the centerline this spring

Thank you for the reply @SkunkBoat ... I started going down that GT50TH of GT51TH but heard so many good thing about the GT56 and am still hopeful I can make it work. I am curious if anyone has had anyone has had any luck moving say 6" to the right or left of where yours is mounted ... like halfway between the drain plug and trim tab?

wadeatl

Reaction score
I just received the transducer and will be able check it out tomorrow to see if there are any other options. I am concerned how close I can mount the GT51TH to the water pick-ups. I have to believe the pick-up will disrupt the water flow even fairly close to them?

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Here is a link to how I relocated my Transducer to just left of the drainplug:
Great results = I can read the bottom moving over 30mph. I also added a through-hull B175HW and they read equally as well.
I specifically avoided the right side of the drain plug because of the water pick-up that you can see in some of the pictures.

transducer3.jpg

wadeatl

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to mount the transducer after letting the Stern Saver (mini) cure. Unfortunately I mounted the Stern Saver (permanently) too low and the transducer sits too low even at the highest point to mount. I went ahead and tried it anyhow and I have to say I was impressed. Minus the big rooster-tail it held bottom pretty well. I will mount another Stern Saver (mini) directly above the other Stern Saver and will move the transducer up so just the bottom of the front of the transducer is under the hull. I will report back ... it may be a few weeks.