Help with installation of aux fuel tank on Journey

tgr23

Reaction score
I am considering installing an auxiliary fuel tank on my 2004 Journey. I need the fuel capacity for offshore fishing. Has anyone done this? Do I buy the factory tank from GW or is there a better after market option. Also How difficult is this? Any photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Travis

ReelRowdy

Reaction score
I recently added the 56 gallon to mine, it was not too bad of a job. It was plumbed for the aux tank, which I am sure your's is as well. I wedged mine in with chocks and 1/4" rubber just like the main tank was done from the factory. Found an all brass valve on ebay and installed it next to my fuel filter.

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,198
  • Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,197
  • Fill.jpg
    Fill.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,198
  • Valve.jpg
    Valve.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,197

seasick

Reaction score
ReelRowdy said:
I recently added the 56 gallon to mine, it was not too bad of a job. It was plumbed for the aux tank, which I am sure your's is as well. I wedged mine in with chocks and 1/4" rubber just like the main tank was done from the factory. Found an all brass valve on ebay and installed it next to my fuel filter.
Sorry to be picky but the hose clamps in the first photo are not optimal. The ones in the second and third photo are. Dual hose clamps should be installed in opposite orientations as is the case with the last photo.
In reality for low pressure applications both ways can work OK but for higher pressures and sometime when standard hose clamps (not fuel line specific) are used the sealing of the connection can be an issue.

Reelman5703

Reaction score
You should be able to get a tank made, I just did. Aluminum is cheap now, I had a 56 gallon made for $515. Used to be $12 per gallon was a fair benchmark. I used local place, http://alloymetalworks.com/, and being installed this week. Get the specs from Grady and give to fabricator. They can read the sheet NP

ReelRowdy

Reaction score
Seasick, sorry but I dont see a barbed no pressure fitting being an issue on that. Just looking to provide some install pics for the guy on the 258 Journey

seasick

Reaction score
ReelRowdy said:
Seasick, sorry but I dont see a barbed no pressure fitting being an issue on that. Just looking to provide some install pics for the guy on the 258 Journey
True, I did mention that for low pressure it wasn't really an issue. I said I was being picky:)
Nice job with the the tank.