Help with my Christmas wish list

fshnfool

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So I bought the my 2007-208 this summer and it was an amazing few months. It is now in storage and I am thinking about what I need for next year. High on the list is a set of tools for the boat. What do people recommend as tools to carry with you each trip?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check WM and BW. They have some nice sets which are designed for boats. Thery are very compact and fit nicely in the GW storage areas. I added a mini-ratchet set and some hex keys.

catch22

Reaction score
I do like those tool sets that megabytes mentioned. Some of them are in gasketed cases. They even have stainless steel tool sets.

Besides the tools themselves, I think it's equaly important to have a good supply of spare parts and accessories on hand. I made up a custom tool box, specifically for the boat, which includes, not only tools and a ratchet set, but spark plugs, fuel line and a coupler, hose clamps, an assortment of ss fastners, sealent, crc spray lubricant, etc. Lots of electrical items too - fuses, electrical tape, wire ties, crimp connectors, wire lugs, etc.

A hammer and some duct tape never hurts either. :lol:

jehines3

Reaction score
I take a completely different approach to boat tools. Buy the cheap version of whatever you need. I hit up harbor freight and filled a whole tool box for like $50. Nothing worse than dropping a $55 SS adjustable wrench over, I'd feel like I'd have to swim for it. To have a full set of real screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, cutters, ratchets, filter wrenches, etc in SS would be crazy. I keep all my tools on the boat 24/7 wipe down with a rag in WD-40 once a season, no rust in the cabin....jh

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jehines3 said:
I take a completely different approach to boat tools. Buy the cheap version of whatever you need. I hit up harbor freight and filled a whole tool box for like $50. Nothing worse than dropping a $55 SS adjustable wrench over, I'd feel like I'd have to swim for it. To have a full set of real screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, cutters, ratchets, filter wrenches, etc in SS would be crazy. I keep all my tools on the boat 24/7 wipe down with a rag in WD-40 once a season, no rust in the cabin....jh

I'm along the same lines. It's way too easy for something to go ker-plunk and slim odds of ever seeing it again. I've had bad luck with Harbour Freight tools but I sure didn't spend too much $ on the tools.

GT

Reaction score
catch22 said:
I do like those tool sets that megabytes mentioned. Some of them are in gasketed cases. They even have stainless steel tool sets.

Besides the tools themselves, I think it's equaly important to have a good supply of spare parts and accessories on hand. I made up a custom tool box, specifically for the boat, which includes, not only tools and a ratchet set, but spark plugs, fuel line and a coupler, hose clamps, an assortment of ss fastners, sealent, crc spray lubricant, etc. Lots of electrical items too - fuses, electrical tape, wire ties, crimp connectors, wire lugs, etc.

A hammer and some duct tape never hurts either. :lol:

I'm with Grog on the quality of tools. Don't forget spare oil filter, 'bungs' to fill a hole in an emergency, and the rubber mallet.

seasick

Reaction score
I think GT meant a spare fuel filter. You should also have a filter wrench. Some tape, a few clamps, some disposable gloves and some wire ties.
Some folks carry cotter pins, spare prop, prop wrench etc. I carry a spare anchor and Tow US's number:)