help with purchasing a 1999 GW adventure

against the wind

Reaction score
hello all.. i am new to the site and i was hoping you could help me out.. i am looking to purchase a 1999 GW adventure with a 200 yamaha XO66 SS on her.. motor has about 500 hrs on it, and comes with no trailor.. vessel is in very good condition though, and the owner is asking 15000k for her.. I thought that price was alittle high.. I have a couple of questions.. Is the price too high, does that hull have any wood in it, and what is the track record of that motor ?? Ive been away from boating for awhile now ,and i am getting back into it.. thank u for ur input it will diffinitly help me out

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's a little high. That boat in good condition would sell for about $12,000 around here. But if it is in excellent condition and was keep in a dry stack, it could be worth the asking price.

Everything depends on the condition. That engine is reliable but uses a lot of fuel. Low hours are not necessarily a good thing on an older engine. Take it for a test ride and see if it makes the right rpm at full throttle (5300-5500 rpm) and idles smoothly. Do a compression test and drain a little lube from the lower unit to see if there is any water present. Visually inspect everything under the cowl looking for leak, bad wires, hoses, and corrosion.

1999 Gradys used rot resistant Greenwood XL in the transom and stingers. But it still should not be wet. Check out any screws that you find in the transom and be sure that they are bedded properly with sealant. I'm talking about transducer mounts and trim tabs here. It's best to have a professional surveyor test for moisture with a meter, but you can check for rot yourself with a ball hammer. Tap the transom all over and listen for a hollow sound or any change in the sound as you move around. Visually inspect as much of the stringers near the transom. Be sure that the glass over them is still intact. The stingers are not as likely to have a problem as the transom.

The floor also contains wood that can get soft on an older Grady. Walk over the entire cockpit floor to be sure that it is solid. Only the access ports should sag when you step on them. Pop off the access ports in the floor and look at the condition of the connections and hoses at the filler and fuel sending unit.

Turn on all of the electronics, horn, and gauges. Make a list of everything that doesn't work. Find out the cost of any repairs. That list is how you can successfully negotiate the price down without insulting the seller.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As Doc said, location will dictate whether the price is high or not.

One thing you need to check on a 208 is the bulkhead to the right side of the cockpit/cabin hatchway. GW used plywood with a "veneer" over it and I've seen more than one boat where water running down got past the veneer and into the plywood which resulted in it rotting. It's fixable but the bulkhead panel usually has to be removed and replaced or rebuilt.

against the wind

Reaction score
thank u both for taking the time to help me with my choice.. do u think 12k offer would be insulting if the boat checked out

twinlks

Reaction score
Last summer I bought an 01,208 with an 01 200 hpdi Yamaha. Nice boat with extremely low hrs on engine. They are high in their asking price with 500 hrs on engine in my opinion. Good luck! Make sure everything works and make them an offer.

seasick

Reaction score
I don't think that motor logs hours but I could be wrong. If it doesn't I would question where the number came from.

There can be wet transom issues with Adventures. That should be looked at.
I can't comment on price since a lot depends on what is included and its condition. For example, electronics, canvas, cushions (all of them) , options like washdown, livewell, fresh water, helm cover etc.
All that said, the price does appear to be high. If you need a trailer, keep in mind that good used trailers are tough to come by and new ones can set you back 3 thou or so.
I have a 2001 and figure it is worth about $18,000 with the trailer and all the options, good canvas, modern electronics etc.
No, I am not selling:)