Help With Raymarine Plotter

capeguy

Reaction score
I have a Raymarine C80 on my Sailfish 282 and I have recently realized the resolution in terms of chart features is really poor compared to firends with newer systems. Their Garmin and Simrad units show much more detail in bottom contours than mine. Where mine simply shows flat bottom, theirs show ledges and contours etc. I hadn't realized how bad mine was until I saw theirs...

My unit has a Navionics Gold chip for the NE and canyons. searching eBay, I can't seem to find anything that would be more specific and higher res.
I am interested in the waters of Cape Cod, Mass, RI etc...

Any thoughts?

lgusto

Reaction score
I have the same unit (C80) and see all the details you describe on your friends' units. A couple of thoughts:

1. make sure you have the chart display set to Detailed or Extra Detailed. Setting to Simple will remove almost everything. Go to Menu > Cartography Setup > Chart Display
2. charts don't typically change frequently but it's a good idea to update any chips that are more than a couple of years old
3. The Navionics Fish N Chip provides really high resolution Bathymetry

Send me a PM if you'd like more help via email or phone.

Larry

capeguy

Reaction score
Thanks Larry, I did try that and no changes, but will try again. Must be doing something wrong...

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a C120W but I think it's the same unit. I do have a platinum card, but perhaps this will work with the gold card. To get the better bottom resolution, go to "presentation" then "chart layers" and then select "fish" (I think that's the way to get to the "fish" setting- I'm doing it from memory). That gives the bottom contour lines with much better view of the bottom. Hope it works for you