Help with removal transom back rest and gunwale cushions on a 2011 GW 228 seafarer

Starfire24ht

Reaction score
I am the new owner of a 2011 GW 228 seafarer and I like to stow the vinyl cushions in the cabin when I am not using the boat. I can't figure out how to remove the back rest of the transom cushions on each side of the live well and neither the gunwale strip cushions. Any help will be appreciated.

seasick

Reaction score
Those cushions were not meant to be frequently removed and reinstalled. I am not sure if your seat backs are bolsters ot full cushions but if bolster type they are installed just like the side (deck) bolsters. There are lots of posting about bolsters but in general, they are hung on brackets mounted to the sides of the gunnels. In addition they will be screwed to the side with several screws that are driven through the drain grommets on the bolster bottom. It is often hard to find (feel) for those screws and more importantly very hard to reuse the same holes when you remount the bolsters. Some folks just don't use the screws and that may be OK or maybe the bolster will pop off. More often than not, when reinstalling bolsters, new pilot holes are made for the screws.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The bolsters are not meant to be easily removeable and reinstalled, therefore I would either leave them on or off and just deal with it. As for the cushions for the rear seats, they have a snap and then lift off of mounts. You should be able to see the snap if you look behind the seat cushion and pull it away from the transom slightly.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 1999 Seafarer that did not have the side bolsters and some of the other cushions when I bought the boat 18 months ago. The side bolster clips were still on the boat so I bought the backing plastic, heated and curved them and cut holes to slide over the clips and had the upholstery shop finish them, they are actually thicker than the originals from Grady and it‘s sure nice when leaning over the gunwale measuring fish, netting or gaffing fish in the water. I can easily remove and store the bolsters in the cuddy as I don’t screw them down they just sit tightly onto the clips. Just another option to save the cushions when the boats sits in crappy weather.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Congrats on the new boat. I have a 2013 228 and I removed the back bolsters because I don't use them . They fit over J hooks, I even took the J hooks off and stored them so I can re-install them when I sell the boat. The two J hooks are screwed on the FG with little self tappet screws. You hang them over the J hooks then as you can see in the pictures 2 bigger self tappets fix to the FG as well. You use the little holes on the bottom to guide the screwdriver .
As you can see it is not viable to remove and replace after each use . If you need them on the boat the best option would be to cover them after use .
Does your boat have the aluminum swim platform or F/G as found on older boats? I know 2012 models have the aluminum but not sure when they changed.

1627610694385.jpeg
1627610895888.jpeg

1627610972960.jpeg

1627611009187.jpeg

Last edited:

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
On my 2008 Seafarer, I ripped out the self-tapping screws that hold the rear cushions in place. I couldn't figure out how to get to them. Now I just hang the cushions on with the J hooks and they are easy to remove and replace. They stay in place just fine.

Starfire24ht

Reaction score
Thank you very much everyone. I will look and follow your advice to remove them. The reply of Doc Stressor might work for me since I want to easily remove them a nd put them back when I use the boat
With regard to wrxhoon question my swim platform is fiberglass.
Thanks again

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 2006 has the J hooks and 2 press studs under the top roll of the cushion that clip onto 2 studs on the top of the transom. Very easy to remove.