Help with Repairing weak floor board ?

Roadworker

Reaction score
I have a older seafarer that has weak floor board where the gas tank lays and the spot for the extra tank.
I am guessing the wood needs to be replaced?
Is this and expensive job? are easy enough to repair yourself?

thank you for any input ...

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's not that hard of a job, I've done it as well as a few others here. Do a search and you'll get some good info, a few have been done on classicmako.com too.

JeffN

Reaction score
Been there done that not a big deal. The hardest part was getting the old plywood off the under side of the deck. I cored mine with balsa but now the srews that fasten the deck down do not go through the wood core as they did from the factory. I had no rot but the core was soaked!

cgmiller

Reaction score
I recored the main hatch on my Gulfstream last year. My fighting chair wazs like a hobby horse ride..the thing on the metal spring.....I used my circular saw and adjusted the blade height and I cut out the old soaked wood core and the layer of glass on the bottom. I replaced it with a piece of 3/4" plywood that I coated with epoxy resin. I coated both sides of the wood with resin to seal it from moisture. I screwed through the floor into the board to hold it tight until the resin cured. Made a big difference and should last several years. I still have to do the hatch over the auxillary tank, which is much smaller and not as big an issue. I think I scraped the old wood off with a pry board and some scrapers.