Help with trim tab anodes

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi.

Me and Gulfstream has a lot of learning to do.

My boat is from salt water and now will be in fresh full time. I need to replace both zincs to magnesium for both motors. I want to make sure I am getting the correct parts.

My engines are:
Port: LF-200TXR
Starboard: F-200TXR

Is this correct?

Port: Yamaha™ Anodes Kit CMY150CRKITM

Starboard: Yamaha™ Anodes Kit CMY150KITM

Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
Note that for twin motors where one is counter-rotating, you can use trim tabs that are just disks without the tab. There is no adjustment of angle needed. That said, doing a quick search, I was not able to find the flat anode in magnesium.
The two kits you referenced should be OK.
You may want to change the engine cooling chamber anodes also. Perhaps other members would know for sure

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Are you sure your existing anodes are Zn? If you've got Yamaha brand anodes on their, they are Al and that is perfectly fine in fresh water - no need to change.

If you do need to change, check out anodes by Performance Metals - they're excellent Al anodes. As good (better in my opinion) as Yamaha, but less expensive.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Are you sure your existing anodes are Zn? If you've got Yamaha brand anodes on their, they are Al and that is perfectly fine in fresh water - no need to change.

If you do need to change, check out anodes by Performance Metals - they're excellent Al anodes. As good (better in my opinion) as Yamaha, but less expensive.

Here is a noob question then. How do I know if they are zinc or not?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Here is a noob question then. How do I know if they are zinc or not?
Well, you tell by feel/weight once you know what you're doing. Hard to describe, I suppose, via words.

I assume you didn't put those on yourself and instead paid someone otherwise you'd know... But, check your service bills to see what was put on.

If I had to guess, they kinda look like Al.

FYI, in some "fresh water", Mg can overprotect and cause paint lifting, leading to corrosion.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Unfortunately I don't have the records for service in this aspect. Boat is new to me; hence the questions and lack of knowledge!
usually the part number embossed on the part gives you a clue..unless there isn't one....
I may try and pull off one of the trim tab ones and see. I can't see anything visible from what I can visualize.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BB, Drill into the anode enough to get a small amount of cuttings. Turn a propane torch on the cuttings. If they burn they are magnesium. If they simply melt they are zinc.

Reactions: Bird Blaster

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The fact that it burns s readily makes welding it pretty tricky. I don't know how it's done but some guys do it. I had a piece of a chainsaw welded that was magnesium and it came back looking horrible. The welder said he had welded aluminum before and thought it couldn't be much different. He found it very difficult and didn't charge me because it was so ugly.

Fishtales

Reaction score
you can order direct from these folks. Good prices and will answer any questions you have.
There are internal zincs in the engine as well as the large strap on the mount and the fin adjustment over the prop.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When you get the new ones, compare them to the existing ones. If they feel/look the same, then the existing are aluminum, as well. Keep the new set for the future since the existing ones still have plenty of life left.