High speed water pick up causing either hose or pump to blow

lime4x4

Reaction score
I'm having a slight issue with the high speed water pump pick up on the bottom of the hull on a 86 offshore 24. When up on plane the livewell starts to fill up with water to the point it starts to splash out when hitting waves or turning hard. If i close the valve in the hose after the pump either the pump blows apart or the hose before the valve bursts. I can close the valve at the high speed pick up but then that makes the live well useless

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Re: High speed water pick up causing either hose or pump to

lime4x4 said:
I'm having a slight issue with the high speed water pump pick up on the bottom of the hull on a 86 offshore 24. When up on plane the livewell starts to fill up with water to the point it starts to splash out when hitting waves or turning hard. If i close the valve in the hose after the pump either the pump blows apart or the hose before the valve bursts. I can close the valve at the high speed pick up but then that makes the live well useless

What if you were to install the thru-hull scoop with the grilled part facing aft? I'm pretty sure they do this with generators and other things to prevent water from coming in. A lot of people even put in flush mounted thru-hulls as well.

As long as the scoop is under water when on plane, you should have no problem getting water to your livewell when using it.

lime4x4

Reaction score

The scoop is facing forward and it's on the bottom of the hull so it always gets water

Pez Vela

Reaction score

lime4x4 said:
I'm having a slight issue ...

Indeed. You mean your deck is getting wet? Perhaps (a) closing the valve partially would slow down the flow rate or (b) pulling the drain plug could prevent overflow, or (c) eliminating the hard charging driving mode would keep things dry. In a worst case scenario you could wear boots. :lol:

jbrinch88

Reaction score

lime4x4 said:
The scoop is facing forward and it's on the bottom of the hull so it always gets water

I realize it's on the bottom of the hull. If it were mounted midway the pump would suck air when on plane.

You need to turn the thru-hull 180* or install a flush mounted one.

Good luck with your problem.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

Seacocks should always be closed unless in use.

The scoop should face forward. If facing aft it would create a low pressure area just behind it and make it hard for the pump to draw suction.

Our livewell will overflow when running if the valve is left open and the pump isn't running. It will not overflow when running with the valve open and the pump running.