High Water Alarm Recommendations

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hi all - I’m looking to add two high water alarms to my 330 Express one in the aft bilge and one in the forward. I’ve been looking around and everything I’ve seen looks pretty intrusive when it comes to the dash mount and I’d like to keep the dash as clean as possible. Any recommendations?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I haven't looked into it deeply yet but I'm thinking NMEA 2000 high water alarm.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Do you already have a high water bilge pump (add a float - mechanical or electronic if you don't)? Wire a $10 piezo alarm in parallel with the highe water switch. The piezo can be behind the dash - say zip tied to the backside of the steering - or wherever you want it. If you want a visual, a bright red LED would do it. But as noted above, check your MFD's capabilities - you may be able to hook into that.

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks Dennis - that's a good idea, the other think I was thinking is a way to mount one to the side of the pop up council, this way it's not always in-front of me and can be concealed with the council. I also like the NMEA idea. I wonder how that would work when the electronics are not on. I'll do a bit more research.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I put one in the forward bilge of the 330 with the buzzer and indicator in the passageway next to the CO alarm. We sleep on board off shore so that would be the lowest point at anchor. When tested, it is so loud that I believe I could hear it anyplace on the boat even underway. Don't have the model # handy!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have the Johnson Pump one you can find on Amazon and marine stores. The sensor went last year so it's on the list to change it out this spring. It is a 3 wire run to connect the sensor to the unit and then mount the unit (just a lighted switch and alarm on a small panel mounted to the dash). Easy to run in the rigging tube with a snake. Nothing fancy, just works.

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have the Johnson Pump one you can find on Amazon and marine stores. The sensor went last year so it's on the list to change it out this spring. It is a 3 wire run to connect the sensor to the unit and then mount the unit (just a lighted switch and alarm on a small panel mounted to the dash). Easy to run in the rigging tube with a snake. Nothing fancy, just works.
Just checked those ones out and I like them. I’m going for simple install and clean looking.

HMBJack

Reaction score
FYI - in my 330, I did the same thing as wspitler above except I added 2nd High Water Alarm in the stern area bilge as well.

Both alarms have their control panels installed below the CO Alarm (on the port side as you hands and knees crawl aft). This is where I see Grady putting them on their new boats. I used the Johnson Pumps brand and have been very happy with them.

I also have 4 automatic bilge pumps - two aft and two in the center bilge. The High Water Alarms are an excellent addition in my opinion. Good Winter project for sure...

And lastly - because I like a DRY bilge, I added a set-up as in this YouTube. Works great and my bilge stays dry dry dry...

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just checked those ones out and I like them. I’m going for simple install and clean looking.

Agree they are easy and do the job. I did have a sensor fail after about 10 years. There are some pics on the net of others. I ended up getting a new kit for $60 or so. Good luck with install.

MO235

Reaction score
I always install 9 volt house water alarms from Home Depot. It gives a shriek if you’re sinking and doesn’t mess with your panel. If you’re taking on a lot of water in a boat with outboards, you’re having a really bad day and there’s a good chance you’ll loose your electrical system. An independent alarm provides redundancy.

Reactions: dbiscayne and efx

MO235

Reaction score
I use this:

The sensor is on a wire, so it can be placed exactly where you need it. The unit can then be up, where it won’t get submerged and fail and the battery can be easily replaced. The one I have also has a test button to check serviceability.
When I had I/O’s in the past, neighbours complained about the noise and it saved the boat from sinking.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I may have missed something, Can they be turned of?

seasick

Reaction score
In a salt water environment, I would have my doubts about the reliability of that residential water alarm.

The Blue Seas 1842 is a very sophisticated (expensive) option. It does require a hole to mount and is a tad big but it can be mounted in spots other than the helm, like aft or in the cabin. It has the capability of powering a remote LED and/or a remote audible sounder. The nice thing about this system is that it keeps a running count of how much time the pumps were working. This model can monitor 4 pumps.

Last edited:

MO235

Reaction score
I may have missed something, Can they be turned of?
That is correct, it does not have an on/off switch. To silence the alarm you can either remove the 9 volt battery or stop your boat from sinking.

MO235

Reaction score
In a salt water environment, I would have my doubts about the reliability of that residential water alarm.

The Blue Seas 1842 is a very sophisticated (expensive) option. It does require a hole to mount and is a tad big but it can be mounted in spots other than the helm, like aft or in the cabin. It has the capability of powering a remote LED and/or a remote audible sounder. The nice thing about this system is that it keeps a running count of how much time the pumps were working. This model can monitor 4 pumps.
You are correct. The $11 unit is definitely not as nice as your system.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Some of those inexpensive water detectors will have an on/off switch... I use one to know when my Christmas tree reservoir is filled up.

As noted above, though, I wonder how long these would last in a moist (and especially salt) environment. I guess the right thing to do would be to replace it on a regular schedule, BEFORE it takes a dump.

I still think an easy solution is to simply wire a simple buzzer in parralel with the high water float switch.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Some of those inexpensive water detectors will have an on/off switch... I use one to know when my Christmas tree reservoir is filled up.

As noted above, though, I wonder how long these would last in a moist (and especially salt) environment. I guess the right thing to do would be to replace it on a regular schedule, BEFORE it takes a dump.

I still think an easy solution is to simply wire a simple buzzer in parralel with the high water float switch.

Agree. For short money you could replace it every year... The ease of the install and just as a back up is benefit.