High Water Alarm

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,

I see some of the newer GWs come with this now from the factory. That is a nice enhancement.

I am finally getting around to install one this year. I chose the Johnson Bilge Alarm - see link below.
http://www.johnson-pump.com/jpmarine/pr ... alert.html

I like it because it has a sealed sensor (in a plastic flat 1X3X1/4" or so housing) that you mount with a single screw where you want to be notified (above you bilge pump float switch to mitigate false alarms). Simply run the wire in the conduit and to the helm and connect up. I think the biggest task is cutting the hole and mounting the panel.

If you don't have one and have a little time, you can do this. WM had the triple 16 AWG tinned wire in a romex like sleeve, the water proof crimp connections, the liquid tape and fuse/holder. Should be able to get it done in a few hours.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just installed the Johnson also in my boat. Nice system and peace of mind. Also put in a second 2000GPH emergency Bilge and Thru Hull for backup if primary needs help.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Drilling the dash takes some nads. I used a couple of forsner bits on my drill and they worked beautify. Test fitted on a board in my cellar first to make sure.
Boy are those GW dashboards thick - glassed on both sides with what looks to be a 1/2" of plywood in the middle. I agree, great piece of mind.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I ordered all my wire from Tinned Marine Wire webside and used 14 ga.

Check out their prices! Quality is excellent.

I had to run 25 feet for each color and also more wire for my second emergency bilge, so saved a lot of $$ using these folks!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wouldn't use anything less than #16, with just a little corrosion it'll break.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The detector uses 16AWG. I used the same (3 wires in a single jacket), approx 30 feet, tinned wire from WM.