Highway towing a GW 23ft.

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I posted earlier as a "Newbie" and through the kind efforts of a GW member I have found a boat in FL that interests me. Can anyone tell me what difficulties I might encounter towing this in different states. It is a 1988 hull.
thx

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Make sure you have all the paper work notorized from the sale. For the trailer make sure you have the old registration or certificate of orgin. If his registration is still good you may be able to tow it without any problem as long as your insurance will allow it, but I would have him send me the paperwork and get it registered in my state before I pick it up and put my state license plate on it for the tow home. I dont think you will have any issues towing state to state as long as it is properly registered/insured. If it oversized load, that I am not familiar with. I purchased a 18ft boat 6 yrs ago in Jupitor ,FL towed it to NJ. Turned out the trailers got mixed up at the marina, I did not have any pw for it and the serial # turned up stolen when I called to get the docs I needed from FL dmv. Marina worked it out for us. They accidently sold me the wrong trailer. But if I had gotten puilled over it would have been impounded for sure. So be carefull, dot your I's and cross you T's
Good Luck

Workdog

Reaction score
Yellow Boy said:
I posted earlier as a "Newbie" and through the kind efforts of a GW member I have found a boat in FL that interests me. Can anyone tell me what difficulties I might encounter towing this in different states. It is a 1988 hull.
thx
If you are talking about a Gulfstream, I have towed mine between Ohio and Virginia with no issues. Down in the keys you may get pulled for a wide beam, but anywhere else it's not likely. I'm sure I will hear it from those who would not trailer an 8' 7" boat, let alone a 9' 3", without wide load permits from all 50 states and warning signs on every street corner.

232 GULF

Reaction score
Just follow the rules of the road and you'll be fine. I trailered mine over an hour away when I bought it. IMO, as long as you look like you've got everything under control and you know what you're doing, no one will bother you. GL

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The latest issue of Trailer Boat magazine has a good comprehensive article on trailering including the laws in all 50 states for height, width length etc. Check it out.

Reaction score
Guess what, I just got to Marathon in the Keys. I got all the permits for a wide beam 9'6" 25' GW sailfish to run from OC Md. Went thru the CBBT $60 all the toll taker wanted to know was how wide for the toll, ask if he needed to see permit, was told not necessary. Went thru all the rest of the states, no one took a second look!!!!!!!! I was sorta disappointed because it was a bit of a PITA to get all the permits, each state wanted different info on different forms, some email, others via fax. NC was the best...No permit required up to 120"
Also my friend pulled his boat from OC without a trailer tag, fell off in Va. never stopped.
Neighbor from Sea Isle NJ also just arrived with his tag missing, never stopped.
Seems that the law has other things on thier mind .... which I think is good
:roll:

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Journeyman, Very helpful. I need to tow it from S. Florida to Tucson. Wonder If I can fly under the radar???

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
charlesretired said:
Guess what, I just got to Marathon in the Keys. I got all the permits for a wide beam 9'6" 25' GW sailfish to run from OC Md. Went thru the CBBT $60 all the toll taker wanted to know was how wide for the toll, ask if he needed to see permit, was told not necessary. Went thru all the rest of the states, no one took a second look!!!!!!!! I was sorta disappointed because it was a bit of a PITA to get all the permits, each state wanted different info on different forms, some email, others via fax. NC was the best...No permit required up to 120"
Also my friend pulled his boat from OC without a trailer tag, fell off in Va. never stopped.
Neighbor from Sea Isle NJ also just arrived with his tag missing, never stopped.
Seems that the law has other things on thier mind .... which I think is good
:roll:

I am never that lucky!!

BTW, I was in Annapolis over the weekend. Awesome crabcakes!!! :D :D

A lot of complaints about me bringing bad weather with me though. Sorry about that.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Get the permits. I have made the trip from Annapolis to Jacksonville and Islamarida several times. I have been inspected once when I towed the 232 and twice when I towed the 282. North Carolina was the worst. Short hauls, I don't bother. Long hauls I get all the tickets the ride requires; its not worth the increased hasstle if you don't got your papers in order.

jellyfish

Reaction score
i agree, get the permits, too far a haul. If you get pulled over and don't have permits what can they do to you?

3rd Day

Reaction score
Just my .02 worth. I have been pulling boats to the Keys, (Big Pine) since 93'. SC does not require trailer tags so when head south, we just put a metal license plate from one of our local boat dealers/tackle shops that we do business with. The plate might say " Joe's Tackle Shop" Charleston SC . The lawman drives past and see's the SC reg.# on the hull and waves. Now when we go, we use the Turnpike and a "Sunpass" to avoid stopping at the toll booths and just choose the wide lane for the 232GT. And as mentioned earlier, look casual. Good luck and have a safe trip.