Hit concrete block

a1mccray

Reaction score
Last weekend when loading my boat back on the trailer I hit an underwater concrete block. I didn't notice it but my wife saw the damage to the hull after I loaded the boat onto the trailer. The damage is a two foot long gash on the hull. The gel coat is gone and when you wipe your hand on it you get white chalk stuff on your hand. I do not see any fiberglass mat but don't want to start having a water issue. I figure it is about an 1/8 inch deep.
A couple of questions. How do I know if this needs to be repaired? Can a local Grady dealership match the gelcoat? How much can this cost. My insurance will cover it if my deductable is not too high.
Any ideas?

SlimJim

Reaction score
take some pictures and post them, let us take a look at them. I would take it to a Grady Shop or call Grady customer service and ask them who you should take it too. A pro needs to look at it.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Get it fixed, you don't want to risk water getting inside.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would not think twice about having it fixed, if it is 1/8" thick, that could be about 1/3 or 1/2 the thickness of the hullside or core, if it is where there is core that is even worse, the core will get saturated and fall apart fast ruining the ghullside. Have it fixed, just needs touch up with fiberglass mat then regel coated over to match, it can be done to look as good as new but I'd leave it to a professional fiberglass guy and not DIY.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Most dealers have a glass shop they work with. I had some minor repairs done this past winter and they are impossible to detect even if you lokk closely for them. a perfect match - something for the pros if you want it perfect