Honda 225 beep

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey guys quick question... Was out fishing yesterday running the motor (2013 Honda 225 4 stroke) at like 3/4 throttle... All of a sudden there was a loud long beep.... I immediately put her in N shut her down and raised the motor.. I checked the pickup for any blockage looked at prop to see if anyth was wrapped in it. Everything was good so I started her back up after like 15 mins and everything seed fine?..... I have to look at manual too see if there's anything on there about beeping... I thought It was overheating or oil.... Bit I checked oil it was fine... And water was pissing out fine at the spout... Any ideas on what to look at l?

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ve had an oil sensor on a different outboard, maybe it was a misfire if you aren’t experiencing any other issues.

seasick

Reaction score
Sounds like an overheat alarm. When did you determine that the pee stream was fine? Was if during the alarm or after you shut down and restarted?
In the first case, you can get something like a plastic bag that plugs the water pickup but falls off after the boat comes to rest.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sounds like an overheat alarm. When did you determine that the pee stream was fine? Was if during the alarm or after you shut down and restarted?
In the first case, you can get something like a plastic bag that plugs the water pickup but falls off after the boat comes to rest.
That's exactly what I was thinking! The water had alot of debris floating and seaweed due to a storm the day before... I was thinking maybe something obstructed the pick up then when I went N it came off or when I picked up motor it came off.... The piss stream was fine upon restart.

SeaVee

Reaction score
Those Honda will go into Guardian mode ( drop RPM’s down to near a idle) with an overheat alarm. Did it drop RPM’s? I had a BF 225 and the guys on the Honda forum over at MarineEngineForum.com were extremely helpful. Learned a lot about that engine over there. Worth a visit

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those Honda will go into Guardian mode ( drop RPM’s down to near a idle) with an overheat alarm. Did it drop RPM’s? I had a BF 225 and the guys on the Honda forum over at MarineEngineForum.com were extremely helpful. Learned a lot about that engine over there. Worth a visit
To be honest when the alarm went off I kinda shit my pants and just threw her in N immediately lol... I don't know if it drop rpms or not... I reacted to quickly

SeaVee

Reaction score
When I was chasing my overheat issue on my BF 225, I took my heat gun and ran it until it alarmed, then I was able to determine which cylinder bank was overheating based on my heat gun readings. Turned out it was a stuck thermostat on one side. While you’re under the hood, check the T-stat housing in the block. That’s where mine corroded through the block. Hopefully you just ran over some debris, and that’s the extent of your problems.

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When I was chasing my overheat issue on my BF 225, I took my heat gun and ran it until it alarmed, then I was able to determine which cylinder bank was overheating based on my heat gun readings. Turned out it was a stuck thermostat on one side. While you’re under the hood, check the T-stat housing in the block. That’s where mine corroded through the block. Hopefully you just ran over some debris, and that’s the extent of your problems.
Ahhhhh good idea I'll do that 2morrow

SeaVee

Reaction score
Mine would idle fine up to about 3500 all day long but once I got above that, she’d alarm

seasick

Reaction score
Your hand can be used to feel for uneven cooling of the cylinder banks. Just be aware that the heads can get hot especially if overheating is occurring. If one t-stat is bad you will feel the difference in temperature but they won't necessarily tell you which bank is having issues. T-stats can fail in three modes: stuck closed causing overheating, stuck open causing a tool cool situation and finally stuck partially open which may cause over heating at certain loads and revs.
The IR thermometers are handy tools for a lot of things and the inexpensive ones run only about $35 or so.