Honda E2000i vs E2000i Companion

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gents, buying one of these. The Companion has, what appears to be, a 30-amp twist lock like our shore power cords hence plug & play no adapter required. Don't see any discusion about the Companion model. Is there a disadvatage to either model? Amazon appears to have the best price. Are there any deals out there I'm missing? Thanks

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The Companion is really for making a parallel connection with another E2000 so that you can run an air conditioner in a boat or RV. Since it already has the 30 amp connector, you only have buy the connecting cables rather than the whole parallel kit.

If you just going to use as single generator for keeping your batteries charged, the only advantage is the 30 amp receptacle that might plug into your shore power connector. You won't lose anything by using a standard adapter plug with the regular E2000.

Amazon usually has the best price if you can get free shipping and no sales tax.

You should also check out the Yamaha EF2000. They are very comparable and you can sometimes find the Yamaha for under $800.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Doc. So, in a nut-shell the only difference is the std has a 20-amp duplex and the Companion has 1-20 amp & 1-30amp receptical. Been eye-ballin' the Yamaha. It has some addition features that are appealing, fuel gauge, lighter looks like a boom-box. Problem is I can find any real life reviews here or on THT. I can't find a bad word about the Honda other than color.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you Google "honda vs yamaha generator", you'll see all the comparisons that your brain can handle.

They are very close and most people are happy with either one.

The Honda engine is bigger and may be a bit more rugged. But I just ended up going with the Honda because it has an fuel pump that you can connect to an external tank. For an RV, that means that you don't have to keep filling up the little tank all the time.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Our EU2000 just finished 34.5 hrs of steady running to power various loads (on a time sharing basis) in our condo during Hurricane Irene.

We have had it for several years, and have used it at the condo and on the boat.

I am pretty sure the companion is meant to be used with a second EU2000 using the paralleling kit. You can not get 30-amps out of a single EU2000, but that is the rating for two using the parallel kit.

I also think the 30-amp receptacle is the RV type, and that it is different than our marine plug. But I could be wrong about that.

Brian

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just ordered the Companion. It has the twist lock just like our shore power cords. Out the door price of $1,385 from a Honda Power Sports dealer. Researched this pretty well. Sailboaters love them.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have to give kudos to the the Honda 2000 - we had it running since Sunday when the power went out - I ran the refrigerator, lights, TV, hair dryer ec - made an difficult period of power a breeze and save a whole freezer of food - The quiet running is a big plus - my neighborhood had many generators that were loud as heck

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Legend how many things did you have running at one time? How long did you run it continuously? They must be popular. I had to give the dealer a deposit. His next 2-shipments are all accounted for and if I didn't leave a deposit he said I would have to wait until Oct to get one walking in.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great generator we have about six of them for work to power radio gear at towers. Not one has given us an issue and they all start on the on a pull or 3 each time. They are rock solid and we just got a EU6500 because the others were so great. Go right to northern tool and order the aux fuel kit for it. It connects it to an outboard motor tank and at some sites it has extended the run time from 8 hours to 72 hours. Just had all six deployed in your next of the southern MA and still have them in some areas due to the storm. Really nice not to have to fill the tank every 8 hours and when we switch we just hook up another tank no shutdown.