Honda Generator

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just got a new Honda 2000 generator for the boat. I had read a lot of posts about many getting the reverse polarity light on so I was a little concerned about getting one. Tried it out over the weekend and it ran perfect and handled eveything with ease. NO AC. The electric panel showed no reverse polarity. I just wanted to update the last few post who were looking to buy a generator.

dlevitt

Reaction score
Can we assume that you are referring to no air conditioning, but an A/C panel? Are you plugged into the shore power 30 amp inlet?

Also, I believe that the Honda has 2 models - one with a 30 amp plug. Which one are you using?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes by AC I meant no air conditioning. I have the generator connected to my shore power cable. It connects through a pigtail. Regular 3 prong plug to the generator and the other end of the pigtail accepts my shorepower cable.
Not sure about the 30 amp comment, I'll check this weekend

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I recall killing this one to death a few years ago on this site.

Just because the light is on or flickers from time to time doesn't mean the polarity is reversed.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
mine is the 20 amp with the outlook like your house and it converts to the boats shorepower through the pigtail

ahill

Reaction score
Check this out from Blue Systems. I've chased this problem & now live with it. http://bluesea.com/viewresource/85
Honda dealer said they experienced on a larger Gen with a 220 volt system that had the hot & neutral wired to the 30 amp plug backwards. The house panel would energize on shore power but not on gen.