HONDA GENERATOR

SOJOURN

Reaction score
Purchsed a new 2006 Marlin without a genset. Any thoughts on running a 8,000 btu A/C from a Honda EU2000? Thanks

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We run a Mermaid Marine Air 6500-BTU model on an EU2000 with no problem at all. Can run on Econo Throttle all day. I would assume you could run an 8K-BTU Mermaid unit just as easily.

However, there is a lot of variation between manufacturers on the current drawn by the main unit, and many don't list the current draw for the sea water circ pump.

Find out what the total current is for your SW circ pump, plus the unit, and compare that to the EU2000 ratings. If within the EU2000 ratings, then should be OK, with the only remaining question whether the EU2000 can handle the start-up load.

Best bet would be to borrow an EU2000 and try it.

Brian

gerrys

Reaction score
do you have the current draw and startup draw of the ac?

The EU2000 is rated at 16.7 amps max, 13.3 amps rated. It will PROBABLY handle 8,000BTU but you need to look at the values closely including your raw water pump and anything else you're wanting to power.

Comfortably Numb

Reaction score
SOJOURN said:
Purchsed a new 2006 Marlin without a genset. Any thoughts on running a 8,000 btu A/C from a Honda EU2000? Thanks

I have a 2001 Marlin, and the Honda runs the A/C as long as the Honda is not in Econo mode. The Honda doesn't get up to speed quick enough when the A/C compressor kicks on.

In other words, running the A/C on the Honda means that the Honda is running at near full throttle. That's fine if you're not at a quiet crowded anchorage at night, but not practical otherwise.

SOJOURN

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. A/C draws +/- 7 amps and water pump 1 amp.

Once installed, I'll try the EU2000. If no good, Yamaha makes a 2400 watt quite run.

richmake

Reaction score
I've got a question for you boy's...
Are you mounting the honda generator anywhere or is it just on deck...
I've got a 92 sportbridge that we charter overnight trips sometimes and the small generator would be perfect...
Where would be a good place to mount one maybe....just curious

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Most install them on the bow, near the walkway. I'm sure you could install it on the hardtop, but it would not be easy to access. It seems the best spot is the bow, but I would recommend a cover to keep spray off it.

eppem

Reaction score
no question is a dumb one, right?

I have a 265 express, no genset, have read about guys bring generators offshore, in this case (mine), really to run lights, electronics and maybe the livewell...ok, my stupid question, not owning a generator, how does it connect to your boat? thru the dockside connection? to the batteries?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
eppem said:
how does it connect to your boat? thru the dockside connection? to the batteries?

The Honda EU2000 output is a regular house-type receptacle. You can purchase a Marinco adapter ($40-50) that connects to the 30-amp shorepower inlet, with a male 15-amp on the opposite side. Then you simply use a heavy-duty extension cord between the generator and the adapter. You are powering up the boat's A/C circuits. Just make sure the water heater is turned off if you are going to run the air-conditioning. Works great for us.

I understand that the larger Honda EU3000 has an outlet just like your dockside shorepower, so you just use your shorepower cord to connect the generator to the shorepower inlet box.

Brian

eppem

Reaction score
thanks brian, that makes complete sense and i already have the shore power adaptor, we use it in the spring...i guess i will chekc out generators at my next home depot run...

any suggstions on makes or models?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
eppem said:
any suggstions on makes or models?

The HONDA EU2000i is the absolutely best choice.

Not the cheapest, but the BEST.

It is relatively low-weight, reliable as can be, and it is QUIET. It has an econo-throttle setting and will run at the lowest RPM that generates sufficient power for the load. This is significantly different than running at a constant, LOUD, synchronous speed as most generators do.

You do not want to listen to a loud generator all day, or all night.

Our EU2000, with a 75% load, is quiet enough for us to have a normal conversation only a few feet from the generator.

As for source, try http://www.wisesales.com/.

Usual Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Honda or Wise Sales.

Brian

MassonGuy

Reaction score
I got new eu2200 by Honda for my boat. It's a newer version of eu2000. It's time to upgrade guys! With a new model your getting more features for the same old price.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I have Yamahas version of the eu2000. I’ve tripped it during compressor start up. I mount it on the transom when on the hook, as I feel having it behind the transom and lower lessons the chance of CO2entering the cabin.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The Honda is the way to go, especially if you are not using a lot. Those are about the quietest one out there.

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I ran our 8,000 BTU off our 10 year old honda 2000 the other day with no issues, this was also with the 40 amp battery charger on. I am guessing that it was pulling in the vicinity of 8-10 amps, well within the honda 2000 capacity. The new 2200 would be the way to go...