Honda2000i Again....

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Acquired a new to me Honda 2000i today. Will use it on my 2000 272 Sailfish to power A/C, battery charger, etc. Have read the posts on reverse polarity, etc.

Need some specific info. I plan to place the genset on the S/B transom behind the fish door. What are the thoughts concerning:

Tie downs-bungee cords? How many, where?
Orientation of genset exhaust? Directly aft or to port?
Wiring to boat shore power system? Heavy duty extension cord(20amp) from genset to 30 amp pigtail?
Splash covers?

Any thoughts/concerns/suggestions appreciated.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Here's what I did (field tested it on an overnighter last weekend 55 miles offshore for a tuna trip)

I placed a Square plastic milk crate upside down on my swim platform.
I bolted to this a small section of thin plywood as a base for the Honda to sit on. The Honda generator goes on top of that - keeps the Honda above the waves - and even a little higher than the powerhead of my Yamaha but not so high as to let Carbon Monoxide into the deck area. Honda's exhaust points straight back (good while on a sea anchor or regular anchor). Two straps with those spring loaded buckles hold the Honda (and milk crate) to the swim platform. Next I simply plug my battery charger into the Honda since everything I'm using is 12V. Works great.

seasick

Reaction score
Whatever you do, please make sure you have a working carbon monixide detector in the cabin.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Curreently like ahill's lower profile set-up. CO monitor is on the workbench for installation next week. ahill: 2 questions. Is the extended run tank on the port side a diy or a Honda accessory? Noticed that the integrated swim ladder is under the fuel tank and that you have what appears to be another swim ladder stowed on the back of your transom. Your thoughts on this addition? Thanks again.