!@#$% horn installation

tgr23

Reaction score
As per a previous post I went out and purchased a new horn at the end of last season and went to install it today. When I pulled off the old horn I realized there was probably not enough wire to just attached to the new horn (would have taken the crimp and shrink wrap mod which I don't like the sound of) and I can't see who to splice it in the cabin. I've seen a couple of posts about pulling the headliner back but that freaks me out. So I'm looking to find out if that is the only way to put this new horn on. And if I do have to pull the headliner back to make the splice how is it best to do that so you can't tell you had to do it.

This in my 95 208. Ceiling has upholstery. I can feel the wires there below the upholstery.

Thank you in advance.
Travis

DogBone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I recently replaced my horn. The previous owner had replaced it before me and the headliner had been cut and then glued back with silicone sealant. Not the prettiest repair, but i think there is no way around cutting the carpet headliner to make a splice.

tgr23

Reaction score
Well that's exactly what I ended up doing as well. I had to pull the carpet back and using a box cutter slowly cut the stuck together fibers. In the end I only had to make one surgical cut in the headliner to get to the wires. This was in the layer that was going to lay underneath the top layer. I will say it was a bitch pulling off the carpet. I was very worried about damaging it. In the end when I was putting it back together I decided not to reglue it. It laid down very close to the way it looked originally and since I've read so much about replacing these horns more than I once, I didn't want to have to go through that process again.

One other note, the wires we're heavily silicon glued together the connectors for the horn wires. This made them also stick to the carpet, so this was also tricky getting apart.