Hours on Engine

primetime

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2006 Grady with a 225 Yamaha that has around 500 hours.
Does anyone have any opinions on the average amount of hours an engine should have on a yearly basis and what would be too many hours on an engine.

seasick

Reaction score
The hours are not as important as how the motor was treated. Well maintained and cared for motors like those 225s can run for 1000,1500 and more hours. On the other hand, a small amount of neglect can lead to early problems.

The general appearance of the vessel usually helps determine if the seller took care of the boat , Ask questions about maintenance schedule, if there are logs kept, flushing after use, use of additives like ring free. etc. A mechanical inspection is next, test of lower unit for water and seal condition, compression check, general assesment of plugs, filters etc.
As to hours, the 'average' recreational boater puts less than 100 hours a season on a motor. Boats used for fishing generally put less strain on a motor than those used for water sports like sking.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I put on in the range of 150 hour per year and have a boating season that is six months long at best. I would guess that the range for frequently used is between 100 & 200 hours per year so the boat falls on the low side of that range. Hours range might be higher if you live in a place like south Florida.

As for how many hours will an engine stand up to? It depends on how it was cared for, how it was run and if it is a two stroke or a four stroke. By way of example think about how long a car will last. My cars last eight to nine years and still look and run great when I trade them in, my neighbors cars look like they are ten years old the year after they buy them and don't last because they don’t take care of them. A well attended to four stroke that has not been run at top end all of its life should last into the multiple thousands of hours (3,000 - 5,000). A two stroke should make 2,000 without too much trouble. Look hard at the way the boat has been maintained if everything is in order and well attended to chances are the engine was well attended to if it is a pig sty expect the same treatment of the engine.

The best thing you can do is find a very skilled mechanic and have him go over the engine(s). That is look at the service records, compression tests, review the engine data if it has a chip, pull the T-stats and look at the cooling passages to see if it was fresh water flushed after every use……

Buying used is only a deal if you do your homework.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We repowered our 2002 Islander from the original single 250HP OX66 in Nov 2005. We had 465 hrs on that engine from new in March 2002.

The twin F150s now have 890hrs, since Nov 2005..... and we dind't use her for the normal winter season this year, because the Admiral had a couple of broken ribs... otherwise we'd be past 1000....

Bama96

Reaction score
Average use is 100 hours a year IMO. That 500 hours is nothing on the engine if it has been maintained. Have it checked out by a Yamaha Tec and go for it. 8)