house battery aux charge wire

runeme

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Sailfish with 3 batteries, and I have figured out that only the 2 engine starting batteries are being charged by the motors when running. The house battery is not getting a charge. My motors are twin 200 yami's and I have read that there is an aux charging wire that you can buy and plug in to the motor somewhere to charge a house battery. Does anyone know if this can be done for the 94 model? and if so where is the plug on the motor located.

Thanks for the help, and Merry Christmas.

freddy063

Reaction score
how long have you had the boat? Does the house battery die? I have the same boat. It's in storage now, but I believe theirs two charging wire one from each motor and a jumper wire to the house on the back side of the switches. Not sure but look at the switches and see.

aa331

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
On my 2000 HPDIs it's a relatively thick (it may be a 12 or 10 ga) red wire on the stbd side of the engine with a connector. Cut off the connector and splice it to a longer wire, run directly to hour house battery. Will only charge, and never draw from it.

According to a master yam mechanic I talked to, connecting this wire (even to the main battery if you don't have a house battery) actually makes the engine's charging system run better / cooler.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have HPDIs as well, and freddy063's description is dead-on. I went the safe route and bought the Yamaha cable for the job, and kind of wish I had saved the money. You can really just cut the connector and splice a wire there. I certainly don't know if yours has the lead, but it should be easy to find on the starboard side of the motor if it's there.