House Battery install 255 Sailfish

GW 255

Reaction score
wondering if anyone on here has rigged up a house battery system for an older grady white sailfish 255. i only have a dual battery set up right now for the engine and am wondering where and how anyone else has done it. I was thinking of installing them under the passenger seat in the cockpit. any thoughts and pictures if you have them.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not sure which model you have or year. If you have same as mine, when I first got my boat it had 2 Group 24's on Port side and were mounted with ends of batteries facing fore and aft.
After some studying of the area, I found I could extend the shelf they are sitting on over the bilge area some and then install the batteries so that ends were port to starboard allowing me to install any size battery. I moved up to Group 29's. Then, looked over to the starboard side in transom area and found that I could fit a house battery by moving some wiring and hoses around. I built another shelf and installed 2 more Group 29's for house. I connected these 2 together in parallel to make one large battery and installed a 3rd battery switch for this house side. I also installed the Yamaha auxilary charging wires from both motors and have them tied to the house batteries to keep them charged when running. I installed a Minn Kota 3 bank onboard charger to keep them charged when at rest.

GW 255

Reaction score
i have a 1986 255 sailfish notched transom so space is limited in the compartments aft. already have to batteries on stbd side and oil tank on port side. what model year is your sailfish?

Pez Vela

Reaction score
My vintage 255 is rigged with two batteries aft, in the port and starboard compartments, and the 2-stroke oil reservoirs used to be accessed inside the head compartment, below the helm. I added a third (house) battery on the port side of the helm area, next to the passenger's feet. After re-powering with 4-strokes, the oil reservoirs were removed and the house battery was relocated in their place. This is the spot I'd recommend, as it provides better weight distribution.

GW 255

Reaction score
what size battery did you use for the house. I wont have alot of space to play with because i already have two batteries on one side and the oil tank on the other.

Clockwork

Reaction score
I have an 88 255. I have 4 batteries. 2 aft with one on each side compartment and 2 more under the passenger/port side console. The aft batteries are for the motors, the fore batteries are house.