House electronic circuit breaker question

tgr23

Reaction score
I need to replace the original 40 amp circuit breaker aft by the batteries. Is this correct type?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20390&p=125362&hilit=battery+circuit+breaker#p125362

Additionally I am considering adding a Pro Fish 700 windlass and wonder if I should upgrade the capacity of the circuit breaker now or add a second one entirely when I wire in the windlass. I assume I'd be running new wires from the windlass to the battery.

Thanks,
Travis

seasick

Reaction score
You can't usually just increase the breaker size since the wiring was sized for the original breaker ampacity. In all likely hood, your wiring is not up to snuff to handle that windlass
You either will have to rewire the accessory feed wires (perhaps a pretty big task), or run new wires for the windlass. The size depends on the length of the run and the draw of the windlass. Also, you should not wire directly to the battery but rather to the battery switch so that turning of the switch will disconnect power from the windlass circuit. Finally, you will need to install a breaker near the battery switch in-line with the new feed for the windlass. If you buy the Lewmar kit, it will include a 50 amp breaker

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Agree with everything above and just want to add... the "run" (for sizing your windlass cable sizes) is the entire "round trip". You have to account for the trip to the windlass and back, then use the appropriate size cable. Probably at least 8g, if not 6g. Depends on how direct the path is and the specific windlass requirements.

tgr23

Reaction score
I just got the windlass and the supplied circuit breaker is a 50amp panel mount, slow blow. I don't have a place to mount on a panel back by the battery. Can I swap it with a surface mounted circuit breaker? The Lewmar circuit breaker is a slow blow, but none of the Bluesea unites say that. What are my options?

Another possibly super basic question. Regarding the Blue Sea surface mounted circuit breakers: does it matter which feed you attach to which post? It did not say anything on the packaging or on the unit. Below is the unit I'm working with:

Thanks in advance.
Travis

Attachments

• 201939_l.jpg
    201939_l.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 704

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Surface mount/panel mount: makes no difference. Just a preference regarding aesthetics. Also makes no difference where the supply or load is attached. I used that exact style (from Blue Seas, as well) when I added my windlass. As long as you get the appropriate amperage, you're good to go with that.