how deep before bilge pump comes on

dunwurkin

Reaction score
Just checking with others. I was wondering how deep the water in the fwd bilge gets before the auto bilge pump comes on for a 03 Marlin. My pump seems to work OK, but the water seems quite deep (about 2 inches) before it kicks in.

kendcc

Reaction score
I had the same concern. Largely depends on your float switch. Ihave a covered SureBail and it needs to get to the top of the cover in my case.

Your float switch should have a test on it though.

richie rich

Reaction score
Lift the float switch manually and see where it kicks in.....as soon as it gets close to level it should start....it depends on the exact position of the float...is it centered and how low in the hull is it? from what I have seen in the front bilge, the pump is put in forward of the bulkhead drain so you can reach it fairly easily...if anything is plugging your drain, water is going to build up in that area before it reaches the float height and may seem like the switch isn't doing its job.

freddy063

Reaction score
Some times my switch sticks a little and it needs a little bit of movement to kick it on. There are 3 pumps on my boat, the only switch that I can move by hand is the shower sump pump, and the others are built into the base and can't get to them. If it’s in the water just rock the boat a little to see if it starts pumping.