How do I remove cockpit bolsters, etc?

Gary M

Reaction score
2001 Marlin and it's time to recover the bolsters. I'm pretty sure that there are some screws on the bottom of the bolsters but what do I do when I get them out? How do I remove the curved bench seat seatback cushion? Transom door bolster? How about re-mounting them afterwards?

Any tricks or anything to make it easier?

Thanks in advance!!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Pretty easy to remove. On the botto
You should see a gromlet with a hole. There is a screw that needs to be removed. There are few on each section. Once these are out slide the bolster up they are actually just hanging on brackets. When I took mine off the brackets were rusted. Grady dealer had replacement parts in stock
Good luck

Enough Already

Reaction score
Correct. Just look under the gunnels and you will see where the screws come through. You get screw-head access a little blindly through the bolster drainage grommets along the bottom edge. Once all screws are out, jut push the bolster up from the bottom and you will see how the hanger brackets work. On some bolsters like on my 265 transom, there are actually no screws, it just pops up and off.

Gary M

Reaction score
Thanks guys..........

How about that curved back rest on the aft bench seat? Any secrets there?

Gary M

Reaction score
Sorry to ask again, but are there any tricks to removing the curved back rest of the aft bench seat?

Thanks......

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Are you doing the replacement yourself or is someone doing the work. If someone else, do you mind sharing name and price. I am thinking of doing the same job on my Marlin. Thanks.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If your rear seat backs are the same as the ones on my 226, you will run into an interesting design problem when you try to remove them. They are hung on clamps just like the side bolsters. But there are 2 screws near the bottom of the cushion that seem to have been installed BEFORE the cushions were sown into place. So there is no access to the screw heads. I have no idea what they were thinking when the seats were installed.

I just pulled the screws out by yanking hard on the bottom of the rear seat cushions. Then the seat slides upward off of the hanger.

I did not use screws on the replacement seats. They fit tightly on the hangers and have not moved since I did the work last September.

Gary M

Reaction score
My seat back was simple after all. Two snaps along the bottom and straight up/off the hangers! FAR easier than the seat back on my 1994 Sailfish! The other panels had 2-3 screws in the bottoms and off they came.

I'm using Tip Top Canvas in South Broward County and I have used them in the past on the retractable aft Bimini top. They have a sterling reputation and do all boats up to mega-yachts of well over 100 feet. Contact them at (954) 524-6214...... I'm working with "Brett" on this project...... a great guy.

The seat cushion was always stored inside but I sent that in as well to help them match the color and style of the replacement vinyl.

I'll post photos after I get them back.......