How far back do I run my trolling lines?

jdsmith

Reaction score
Fishing a striper tournament this weekend and need to know how far back to troll my lures. Assuming it is a calm day, and I will be trolling one line on each 15' outrigger and one line off each gunnell, how far back should I put each line? Do I put the longer lines on the outside of the spread or on the inside?

uncljohn

Reaction score
anywhere from 50' to 300' back. Lighter rigs on the longer lines. Good luck

richie rich

Reaction score
JD, the length of line is determined by the depth of water that you're fishing and the type of line and lure you're using. If you're trolling for Striper, you're probably running about 2 knots when using tube and worm rig of somekind. Normally, I use either lead core (preferred) or wire to get the lure down....every color of leadcore is about 10 yards and rule of thumb is 10 yards will get you 5 feet of depth, depending on speed. If you troll with Rapala type plugs or an umbrella rig, you may go a bit faster which will require a little more line. If you use straight mono, you'll need at least double, maybe triple the output of line to get any depth unless you add a keel weight on the rig. Try and keep the rig out your wake if possible.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
trolling is a kinda like your own science, you need to be at the depth where you are marking fish. And, you need to be using rigs that are matching the running bait they are feeding on. Not to mention speed controll. I dont know what tools are at you disposal, but can tell you a line counter or marked line is almost invaluable when trolling no matter what line you are using.

good luck dude, hope you catch the cow of your liftime.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use two monel rigged rods in outrodders and a Mann stretch down the middle. Occasionaly we have somone working a parachute jig with wire line instead of the Mann. Depening on what's working we use shad or eel rigged umbrellas or a bunker spoon. I don't have outriggers (yet) but up here most don't use them for bass.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Caught 4 this morning in about 2 hours of fishing. Only fished 6 lines due to the new preseason regulations. The full 14 rod spread comes out of the closet on opening day Saturday. :D

All four fish came off the planer boards. Pulling 2/4 oz and 2/5 oz tandem parachute rigs. Trolling at 3.0 - 3.4 knots. Lines run 40-80 ft off the boards.

richie rich

Reaction score
Seahunter...what the heck is a planer board? Your speed looks good for the rigs, but what line were you using?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie rich said:
Wow, never seen them used in LI Sound in all my years.....my own boat or charter... Thanks NEM

I never used them my self, but some southern buddies that i have on another forum they swear about them, so i will try them this year.

richie rich

Reaction score
The key is...How the heck do you use them? At a loss at this point...maybe someone will share their rigging secrets?

richie rich

Reaction score
Really? I'm going shopping at Cabelas on Saturday....My blood and the shad run is starting in CT....this is worse than any Swine Flu from Asia for sure...

richie rich

Reaction score
not via the ferry.......either Port Jeff to Bridgeport then 1.25 hours or Orient Point to New London plus 1 hour...New London would be 85 to Rt 11 to Rt 2 to 84 east for 3 minutes to Silver Lane/Cabelas/Pratt&Whitney exit....welcome to Cabelas