How far back do I run my trolling lines?

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think they are called redneck boards, no offense to you southern folks.

Problem is I cant use em in my area cuz some JA would run right over them because everyone has to run past you five feet from either side or fish so close to you that they could hand you a beer and some pretzels.

how to use em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0PktUnUnI

Amigo

Reaction score
Hey guys, Great Lake trollers buy them by the ton. It's not unusual to use three on each side trolling for salmon. (Plus downriggers and dipsey divers) In MI we troll three lines per fishing liscense on the boat. We put our phone number and email adress on the boards just in case.

I would recommend the orange colored board if you want to pull lead core. You can rig it so that the front clip will release the line when a fish hits. If you don't rig it that way a ffish will pull the board under water and could pull the hook because of the drag from the board. We put a "speed bead" about 4 feet above the lure so the board doesn't hit the fsih in the nose. The board can then move up and down the line like a slip sinker.

The orange boards have a moveable weighted keel on them. When pulling lead core move the keel forward to keep the board away from the boat.

If you go to www.glangler.com and search on "Willis knot" you will find a slick way of connecting mono to leadcore. We troll 27 pound leadcore and we also troll copper wire which has double the sink rate of leadcore.

Seahunter

Reaction score
richie rich said:
Seahunter...what the heck is a planer board? Your speed looks good for the rigs, but what line were you using?

Planer boards are deadly. Probably account for 90% of the fish in the Spring and probably 70% in the winter. Most fish we catch are in the top 10- 20' of the water column. The boards allow you to fish high in the water column and away from the boat. It not unusal to have a fish break the surface of the water chasing a bait off the boards.

I run my planer out 125’ on each side. Allows me to cover @ 200’ of water a pass. Run 4 rods off the boat and 8-10 rods off the planers.
Running #80 and #65 Power Pro and #60 and #80 mono leaders. Things get fun when you get 8 fish on at a time. :lol:

Here is a local supplier of the "tools of the trade"
http://www.alltackle.com/planer_board_fishing.htm

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&sort=all&QueryText=planer+board&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23
The Cabelas boards are useless toys for this game. They could not pull single bait let along drag 6-8 lines with a mixture of umbrellas, and tandem baits in a tight 2-3’ chop.

The boards we run are 3 boards wide and made from 1” x 12” and are 36” wide.

http://www.downtimecharters.com/Ideas/Planer_boards/boards.htm

richie rich

Reaction score
Holy Crap....that's unbelievable.....I'd feel like a shrimp trawler with those on my boat....that's not for a rookie to try.....would need to see it done first hand a few times and learn the tricks of the trade......never seen anything like that in New England...and like SFC mentioned, would be tough around here not to get the rig tangled or run over by some yahoo....people fight for spots as it is around here....But i'd definitely like to see that set up in action one day. Thanks for the post!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
sfc2113, none taken :lol: But, the habitat for the common redneck, known by its latin name, Redneckidae redneckus ranges from the arctic to the equator. It is a common species usually found living in more open landscapes or 'rural areas" associated with agriculture practices. The redneck can be found at various watering holes with fermented spirits either made from hops and barely and or corn. They can walk in a bipedal way, but prefer travelling in groups with pick-up trucks. Often Redneckus avoids saltwater and prefers lakes, streams and rivers for their fish foraging and gathering. They prefer boats powered by Mercury and enjoy traveling at high speeds across these bodies of water.

Several common redneckus subspecies include redneckidae redneckus floridana, redneckidae redneckus carolininsus (common in both North and South Carolina) or redneckidae redneckus yankeeninsus (northern arborial rednecks). They can be found living in brick and motor structures as well as manufactured homes in community groups known as trailer parks. They are survivors living by their wits and driven by their genetic desire to reproduce as many off spring as possible in as few years as possible and nearly as young as possible sometimes with multiple female mates. Now you know a little bit about the biology of the redneck... :wink:

I am part redneck and sometimes exhibit many of the same behaviors in foraging and at the watering hole. I drive a pick up truck and enjoy freshwater environments as much as saltwater.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
sfc2113, none taken :lol: But, the habitat for the common redneck, known by its latin name, Redneckidae redneckus ranges from the arctic to the equator. It is a common species usually found living in more open landscapes or 'rural areas" associated with agriculture practices. The redneck can be found at various watering holes with fermented spirits either made from hops and barely and or corn. They can walk in a bipedal way, but prefer travelling in groups with pick-up trucks. Often Redneckus avoids saltwater and prefers lakes, streams and rivers for their fish foraging and gathering. They prefer boats powered by Mercury and enjoy traveling at high speeds across these bodies of water.

Several common redneckus subspecies include redneckidae redneckus floridana, redneckidae redneckus carolininsus (common in both North and South Carolina) or redneckidae redneckus yankeeninsus (northern arborial rednecks). They can be found living in brick and motor structures as well as manufactured homes in community groups known as trailer parks. They are survivors living by their wits and driven by their genetic desire to reproduce as many off spring as possible in as few years as possible and nearly as young as possible sometimes with multiple female mates. Now you know a little bit about the biology of the redneck... :wink:

I am part redneck and sometimes exhibit many of the same behaviors in foraging and at the watering hole. I drive a pick up truck and enjoy freshwater environments as much as saltwater.

Hey Smoky, you say redneck like its a bad thing!! :eek:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Stikezone, being a redneck can be a great thing if you use it right. Heck, it was a redneck who towed my sorry butt in off Lake Fontana when my motor would not start...rednecks rock!

I just wanted to return science back to its rightful place and point out rednecks are not just confined to the southern coastal plain and are found nearly everywhere kind of like racoons or opossums, even in urban environments. :wink: