How important is a G2 Vision card in a Garmin 5212?

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just bought a 2009 GW 283 Release and it has Garmin electronics on it. There's no G2 card, Will I need this for navigating or is this for advanced features. :huh

My old boat needs cards to run correctly ( 2004 GW 282 Sailfish w/ Raymarine C-80's)

Thanks, Bob

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
that unit has full coastal navigation charts preloaded. the g2 vision adds bells and whistles. you can go over to tht and do a search. lots of opinions on whether the are or are not worth it. you do need the g2 vision to do auto-guidance. ron

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just added a G2 Vision after 5 years of not having one in my 4208. I didn't find any features that are important to me. Maybe if I were boating in unfamiliar waters I would see more value in it, but not for my home waters.

Rob

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

I now know I have more time to get the card and don't need it to get underway. Maybe I can ask Santa for this for next years boating season.

Bob

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob Coco said:
Thanks Guys,

I now know I have more time to get the card and don't need it to get underway. Maybe I can ask Santa for this for next years boating season.

Bob

get to garmin's site and read the details of the g2 vision. they are a lot of money and if you don't need those features, santa could probably come up with a better boy toy. :mrgreen:

like i said, you already have all the nav charts. ron