How is the construction on 1977 - 1981 also I/O or Outboard?

Zrob

Reaction score
Hi, I was looking at buying a used Grady White 20' or the 19'8" maybe these were a Dolphin Model not sure, the 1977 one is a walk around lap strike weekender.

Should I get an I/O or one with an upgraded out board 4 stroke?

How was the construction on these boats back then? And how does a 1977 fiberglass lap strike construction compare to a 1981 smooth type compare to each other, I mean besides looks?

Thanks

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, for one thing, you don't see them building any lapstreak models any longer. Be sure to check floors, transom, stringers, for wood rot.
There are pros and cons to IOs and outboards. HP to HP, an outboard will normally outperform an IO, and the IO will normally be more economical in fuel use. Then there are obvious differences, such as cockpit space used by IO, etc..
In my opinion, I would look for the newest hull you can afford, with around a 175-200hp outboard. JMO, Mike.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
X2 - newest with newest outboard.

Old boats are 'projects'. If you want to go boating instead of work on a project, get a newer one.

I would rather have a newer, nicer, smaller boat than a run-down, older, larger boat. ANY DAY!

BTW, welcome to the forum!

awnuld

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 1977 Dolphin with OB motor.. and agree it's been quite a project that's for sure.. if only I knew what I'd be putting into it.. I would have spent the money for a newer/younger project... :)

Zrob

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back guys!

I have to agree with you guys, that is at this time I want to be on the water and not working on a project boat! This being said, I will probably wait and buy one in the fall, unless the right boat comes along.

Thanks.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
awnuld said:
I have a 1977 Dolphin with OB motor.. and agree it's been quite a project that's for sure.. if only I knew what I'd be putting into it.. I would have spent the money for a newer/younger project... :)

Boy, can I relate to that statement!

jim scrivens

Reaction score
I love my 77 Dolphin

Maybe I just got lucky, but I bought a 77 dolphin in good shape for short money and added a low hours 04 OMC 150. I use it a couple of days a week, and have had no problems with it except a failed float switch. Love it.

GT

Reaction score
I used to own a 1976 dolphin. Great boat to learn on and served me well..BUT, on top of everyone else's comments on rot/wear and tear on older boats beware of construction designs too. The dolphin didnt have scuppers, all water (rain water and splash) drained to a single bilge under the splashwell.Terrible design. And there are others I wont go into now but will mention the incredible difference between a non SeaV hull and one with....
There's a reason boats get regular design changes, and its not always becasue of aesthetics.
If your boat checks out OK structurally, you have the tolerance for flaws and ability to fix things on your own an older hull can be a lot of fun.

Zrob

Reaction score
GT said:
...I wont go into now but will mention the incredible difference between a non SeaV hull and one with....
There's a reason boats get regular design changes, and its not always becasue of aesthetics.

Thanks for the info, BUT is there a 20' boat on the market that have scuppers? I am new to boats but I thought the same thing, and I was surprised NOT to see scuppers on these smaller boats........

What used boat 18'-20' in the $7k-10k range would you consider a good design?

Thanks to everyone so far for all your feed back!

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Starting around the early to mid-80s I believe, a 20' Grady had self bailing (scuppers)cockpits. That is the Overnighter. Look around and you be able to find one in relatively good condition in your range.
As stated above, be sure to check any used boat for transom, stringer, and floor wood rot. I've owned several older Gradys that were 100% solid. They're out there, you just have to find them.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can tell you without any doubt, you want a self draining cockpit. I've had three Gradys and they all were self draining and without any issues at all.

Some people when replacing their original engines with heavier 4strokes may lower their drains closer to water surface, and with people standing in stern area also. There are rubber-like flappers that mount on exterior to cover drains that allow majority of water from inside to outside only.

If you plan to go offshore or in areas that can get rough seas, then you will get water in boat. You have two logical choices to get this water out. One is selfbailing drain, and the other is letting all this water go down in bilge and then have to be pumped out of boat.

Trust me, too many things can go wrong with the second choice, bilge pump dies, fuse blows, wire connections corrodes, etc., etc., etc., then you're in real trouble. Its your choice, but ask people that know boats, and they will tell you exactly what I am telling you. Mike

Zrob

Reaction score
VeroWing said:
Trust me, too many things can go wrong with the second choice, bilge pump dies, fuse blows, wire connections corrodes, etc., etc., etc., then you're in real trouble. Its your choice, but ask people that know boats, and they will tell you exactly what I am telling you. Mike

I agree with this 100% In fact I am glad I held off buying my boat now since this is a feature worth having.

GT

Reaction score
I want to weigh in on this 1 more time. My 20' dolphin was a very good boat for what I did with it which was learn learn learn about boats, boating, safety and gaining the confidence I think everyone needs on the water (shame its not a licensing requirement).
The design flaw made life 'interesting' at times, but it as still a very good boat. If I trailered it I never would have experienced itn sinking, becasue it sank at the dock when I wasnt around. On the water it was solid and safe.
The guy I sold it to did a lot of work and it looks amazing now. The new transom now has 2 scuppers. Good idea.
I bet it would be possible to modify an existing transom with scuppers...just a thought

Zrob

Reaction score
Yeah, I would think so! You could put them on the side too, if that was better to get at and work.

Good point!