How long is too long in the water w/o bottom paint

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Planning to rack store new GW 208 when it gets deliver in early July so I will not bottom paint the boat. Rack storage is only available after Aug 1 so I can use a transient slip until rack is available Aug 1. Is this too long for new boat to be the water without bottom paint? Should I forgo the month in the slip and just wait until rack storage is avialable in Aug. How long can you keep a boat in the water that does not have bottom paint before you get concerned? Boating will be in saltwater - Sandy Hook, NJ.

ahill

Reaction score
It depends on how aggressive the saltwater environment is.
In S. Fla canals calcium worms will cover the bottom in a week.
Ask the Marina if you can keep it in uncovered storage until you go into the barn.
Otherwise clean the bottom weekly or keep it out of the water.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
ahill is correct.
Leave it in a month and you'll have a big cleaning job.
I would keep it on dry land. A month is not that long to wait for rack storage, and I would personally hate to mess up a new hull with the crap that would undoubtedly grow on it in the slip.

seasick

Reaction score
Scarlet Knight said:
Planning to rack store new GW 208 when it gets deliver in early July so I will not bottom paint the boat. Rack storage is only available after Aug 1 so I can use a transient slip until rack is available Aug 1. Is this too long for new boat to be the water without bottom paint? Should I forgo the month in the slip and just wait until rack storage is avialable in Aug. How long can you keep a boat in the water that does not have bottom paint before you get concerned? Boating will be in saltwater - Sandy Hook, NJ.

You stand a decent chance of marine growth in with the current water temperatures and the recent even hotter weather. I would leave it out for the month. If it grows barnacles, you will hate yourself. One option, although a pain and costly would be to have the boat hauled, in 5 days or so, take a look at the hull and power wash it. You will have to do that several times during the month.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I left our pair of jet skis in the water for 5 days over the July 4th weekend a few years ago... Horrible mistake!!! The hulls were covered in a green slime... It took hours to clean just the little bit of hull on a jet ski, wouldn't want to even think about doing that on a Grady after a month...

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In NJ the longest I'd keep it in is 2 weeks assuming you'd use it a few times and even then it'll need a cleaning. Can you borrow a trailer? I'm sure something can be worked out. If you don't have anything to tow/launch it with, it maybe be better to leave her on blocks until the rack is available. It'd be a shame to screw up the bottom of a brand new boat.

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. Consensus is to wait a month which I can do. Would hate to ruin a brand new hull for a few extra days on the water given the concerns everyone has raised.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
eppem;
In his opening question, he says he won't bottom paint as he has made rack storage arrangements.

There is no need to paint a hull if it will always be rack stored. There is the cost of re-painting every few years, and whatever performance loss he incurs due to the paint. Besides, it's a new hull...

The question was how long it can sit in a slip without gathering marine growth. As I read thru the replies, it made me remember how quick hulls can be covered with it in the water.

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The owners manual says if more than a "few days" you have to paint.

todd0915

Reaction score
i bought a 208 and the guy had it in the water for about a mounth.I had to have it put on boat jacks and buffed, came out nice but that short of time i could have used the $1,000.00 for something else.if you can avoid it don"t bottom paint your boat.great choice on your boat.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I leave my boat in a slip for 7-10 days during my vacation in a trasient, My first year in the slip it took me a whole weekend to clean the hull off. I used a product last year called Mclube hullcoat, its a marine polish. Easy on and off. Smells good too. Had to try something and this stuff worked and is still working. It does require 2-3 coats to be affective for more time. But like I said it is is apply and wipe off. Last summer stuff started to grow on the hull in 24 hours. A good run and it all came off the bottom. The marine life has a hard time sticking to this polish. The crap that does get stuck on there will be much easier to clean off with the hullcoat under it. Just washed off with little effort. I plan on using it again this weekend as my boat is going into a slip till the 18th of July.

BCLII

Reaction score
If you get caught in a situation cleaning your hull, use a product called jjv 's Best, it is wonderfully without a lot of work!