How many Grady owners carry a Sea Anchor

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Just curious how many Grady owners carry a Sea Anchor. It seems like a very worthwhile piece of safety equipment - although the good ones are expensive (true sea anchors versus drift socks). If you really carry what they say you should have in terms of size of sea anchor, rode, swivels, etc. - it can add up.

Since I'm not excited about spending the money on a sea anchor - I am thinking about buying a decent drift sock although I'm not sure that if and when I need it in heavy weather to keep my bow into the wind that it will do much for me.

I'd love to know what others think about this subject.

Thanks,

Ken

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 15' diameter sea anchor on board, when I go offshore, with 450 ft of rode and 100 ft of trip line. The swivels and connectors were all purchased together. If you believe you will get caught out there, plan to attach the sea anchor rode to the forward cleat in advance of needing it and walk it outside the rail ready to deploy. You do not want to try attaching to the cleat, exposing yourself, when its too late. Deployment is as simple as throwing overboard from the safety of the cockpit, then wait until taught before you relax into the wind. I won't go offshore without it. The rode weighs about 85 lbs with the swivel and the chute is very light so I don't want the extra weight onboard for local fishing. I also keep a six man offshore life raft on the hardtop.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ken: I carry a 60" drift sock - not a true sea anchor - that I use for kite fishing. It will keep my bow into the wind in 20 -25 mph winds only if I raise the engine.

Rob

Frank

Reaction score
I carry a drift sock. I figure I can add a 5 gallon bucket if necessary.

The larger cabin boats have more windage and thus may need a larger drift sock or sea anchor.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have not used a drift sock or a sea anchor, nor do I carry one - yet.

I am curious Wahoo/Rob please tell me (and the rest of us) about raising the engine when using your drift sock. I assume the engine causes some negative effect on keeping the bow into the wind? In other words what happens if you do not raise the engine(s) when using the drift sock?

jfmagana

Reaction score
I carry a sea anchor. It's great peace of mind. Seas in Northern California can change from nice to down-right nasty very quickly. In the event of an engine issue, being able to deploy the anchor and wait for help is a huge (potentially life-saving) benefit.

Also, consider you can use the anchor for recreational purposes as well. For example, if you ever want to do an overnighter offshore, the anchor will greatly limit your drift and keep the bow pointing in the right direction. You can also use the anchor if you want to almost stop your drift over a good fishing spot.

shadow379

Reaction score
sea anchor

Everyone carries a sea anchor, its just the ability to identify it in a situation. a pair of shorts or any clothing can be rigged to a line, buckets can be improvised, or a loop of heavy line trailing out the back can have a positive effect. There are too many good choices that would also work well. Sure store bought use specific devices are great, but in a jam realizing its in the garage shouldn't stop you making a quick decision and saving the day.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Drift sock.

Although....
Tuna Man said:
In other words what happens if you do not raise the engine(s) when using the drift sock?

I don't think I was using it right either as I didn't raise my engine and wasn't "bow to the wind". Will try engine up next time I'm fishing with it.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tuna Man said:
I have not used a drift sock or a sea anchor, nor do I carry one - yet.

I am curious Wahoo/Rob please tell me (and the rest of us) about raising the engine when using your drift sock. I assume the engine causes some negative effect on keeping the bow into the wind? In other words what happens if you do not raise the engine(s) when using the drift sock?

Scott: You are right on. The engine seems to prevent the stern from coming around and lining up behind the bow into the wind. Instead, with the engine down, the boat is sideways to the wind.

Sideways is good in a moderate wind. It allows me to fish kite baits on the downwind side and put another bait or two on the up-wind side.

Also, an after-thought on the drift sock; The length of line out makes a difference. A longer line (30'-40') helps the drift sock get a good 'bite'.

lgusto

Reaction score
Awesome idea to raise the engine! I have an over sized drift sock that never keeps my bow into the wind in anything over a breeze. I'll try the engine idea next time out. Hmm, wonder how much more that puts the engine in the way of fishing.....