How many Grady owners carry spare props on board?

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I took delivery of my 2010 Grady White Tournament 275 with Twin Yamaha 150's on April 15th this year (and of course absolutely love the boat!!!). My question to other Grady White owners is how many of you carry spare props on the boat while boating? The reason I ask is that with my prior boat (a 2006 Seaswirl Striper 2101 Dual Console with a single Yamaha 150), I carried a spare prop just in case I damaged my prop while boating (so that I would have a way to get home other than by being towed). Ironically I kept the spare from my Striper (since it was from a Yamaha 150) but I'm now debating whether to get a second prop for the other engine to keep on board. Of course with dual engines, I'm probably in better shape given that it's unlikely that I would damage props on both engines (and could always gt home on one if one is damaged). I do carry spare fuel filters on board (both the on engine filter as well as the larger in boat filters) as well as spare plugs.

Thanks,

Ken

Workdog

Reaction score
I have twin Merc 150 EFIs with Flow Torque hubs in the props. I carry extra plastic sleeves and the tools to change em out.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I'm not saying I'm right, but I've owned outboards since 1987 all with stainless steel props and have never carried a spare prop. It's alot of money to have tied up in something you may never use. I prefer good towing coverage which covers more problems than just a damaged or spun prop.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Kept a spare in my old MFG boat for 18 years..Never used it, so I don't nowadays.....

Oops..Now we've all jinxed ourselves....

BobS

Reaction score
Spare Props

My boat had aluminum props on it when I bought it. When I ugraded to SS, the aluminum props went in a forward locker as spares.
BobS

nick1048

Reaction score
I have an older aluminum prop I keep onboard in case something happens to the s.s. I keep on the motor. As a kid I needed a prop one time and didn't have one, on a small aluminum boat I had, so I carry one now just in case.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I carry a spare prop for each engine. My regular props are stainless steel, my spares are lighter weight, lesser cost aluminum props that I got 2nd hand on ebay

nick1048

Reaction score
I just figure nothing bad can come of it and obviously anything can happen while you're out there. They take up minimal space, and if you use it once in 20 years it's done its job. Can't hurt

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i have a spare engine. :D

i'm also a member of both seatow and towboatus.

for me, there is no way i would get out of the boat in open water to change a prop. but, i'm a wuss. ron

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We purchased our Islander 270 new in March 2002, with a single 250HP OX66. I carried a spare prop and all the gear needed to change it out on the water.

We repowered in Nov 2005 with twins (gotta love the F150s), and no longer carry a set of spares.

Brian

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have been thinking about the same question all winter long. I came to the decision that the others have come too. I have never needed to change a prop out while boating, but I do relize S*!* happens. I cannot picture myself changing a prop while drifting in the water. I would much rather crack a cold one and wait for sea tow to come get me. plus I do have a second engine.

no problem

Reaction score
It's a spare engine for me also. Try to remove a piece of debris from your lower unit at sea. Then imagine changing a prop and not dropping at least 1 part overboard.

boatz

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Spare props

I have a spare prop for each engine. I figure if they are there I will never need them. If not there you always know what happens.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
drbatts said:
I have been thinking about the same question all winter long. I came to the decision that the others have come too. I have never needed to change a prop out while boating, but I do relize S*!* happens. I cannot picture myself changing a prop while drifting in the water. I would much rather crack a cold one and wait for sea tow to come get me. plus I do have a second engine.

I agree - I took one of mine off this past April in the boat yard and it was not something I could ever envision doing on the ocean. Imagine trying to get that cotter pin back in with waves breaking over your stern. The beer and waiting for a tow idea is my type of fix. Already paid Seatow for the 10 th year and luckily have never had to use them.

Gmanoffshore

Reaction score
I run Mercury Mirage props so all I need is a spare flo torq hub kit. In most cases the plastic/nylon hub will shatter before any prop damage occurs and the Merc props give me much better mid range and overall performance than the yammy props did.