How many guys have boat names and name graphics??

Graybeard

Reaction score
Hi Guys:
Saturday is the delivery date for my new Freedonm 225. People keep asking me what my boat name is, the insurance company wants to know my boat name and even the marina where I made weekend slip reservation wants to know my boat name. So I was thinking I need a boat name and name graphics to go with it. Boat name graphics are easy to get and relatively inexpensive these days. So I was wondering how many guys have boat names for their Grady Whites, how many have name graphics on their boats and where's the best place to put a name graphic on a 22' boat?? Thanks

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Had one on my last boat and will be adding one to my new boat. We are keeping the same name.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd guess 90+% name their boats.
You should be able to match the graphics pretty easy. You can go to your local dealer and ask for small piece of the striping to give to your graphics provider. They sell it by the foot and should be willing to give you a piece.
Most GWs have them on the transom or sides. If you do the latter, you prob need one per side. Can't wait to get Fishtales II out of storage!

zimm

Reaction score
I took the dumb name off my '88 Donzi classic when I bought it and left it nameless. It broke down more times than I can count. Including on the day I proposed to my wife on the water! Had to get towed back. Engine finally blew up and I sold it. I'm picking up my 2001 226 tomorrow and it's currently un-named....

I've read that renaming a boat is bad luck- what about a boat that has never been named? I need to keep the bad luck gremlins away...

Slacktime

Reaction score
After spending all that money on a boat, Name the boat after your wife so she will stop complaining. My buddy named his after his wife, but wouldn't tell me the name until I saw it. Nice lettering on the side "Dragon Lady"

Slacktime

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Here's the safe way to rename your boat... :p

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

My old boat was named "Leap Frog"... I tried for "Leap Frog II" on this one... got shot down immediately... she wanted nothing to do with that boat and my single days! The new one is "Widow Maker"... she picked it... her reasoning, once fishing season starts, she becomes a widow!

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
We named our old Boston Whaler. When we got our Grady it did not have a name. On ourfirst trip I called intot a harbor to get a mooring and have the shuttle pic us up. The problem was we had no name to say over the air. I used the name of our Whaler and added a 2 (II) to it. A week later my wife came home with the graphics. They are on the transom opposite side of the swim ladder. Simply says:

CatMar II
West Bath, Maine

Don't ever a change a boats name, bad luck. A buddy of mine is a lobsterman and he changed the name of his lobster boat. The next day it had sunk on the mooring.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had a dinner contest when I named my boat. The four kids, wife and I picked our favorite name. Then we voted for our top 3 names and applied points (1, 3, 5). There were two that were close, one was one of the boys and the other was one of the girls. The girls won in a head to head run off - The Other Woman (named for how much time I spent on my last boats). The boys were bummed out, so the girls gave in after my wife had second thoughts. So the girls got to pick the restaraunt and the boys got their name Fishtales II.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Well over on the Tidal Fish Chesapeake Angler forum I've been catching hell for even asking the question. They said things like save the money for gas, get a bigger GPS/Sonar, there`s no room for a name on a 22' boat, they fade and look bad in no time, and there is no need to name a 22' boat. All points well taken and I guess I better wait until I take delivery of my new Freedom 225 and get it in the driveway. I can experiment on the BoatUS web site and make a templat to see if something decent will fit somewhere. I'm getting partial to the name Blackheart

zimm

Reaction score
My wife wants to the name our boat "Glomar". I did a wiki on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomar_response
She's a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) lawyer and thinks it's super clever. And it has history with the "Glomar Explorer" ship that the CIA and tycoon Howard Hughes used to salvage a USSR submarine. Hmmm......

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Named after my dad's first boat.
002.jpg

shadow379

Reaction score
I named our boat Sea Bri's for my daughter/fishing partner Brianna. I checked all the online sources and found out it was a better deal to go local. Attached is when Southern Sign Co. Carolina Beach, came two counties over and installed it for no extra charge. Outstanding people. They came out and took pictures and emailed what several design would look like. Once I decided on a design I just let them know and when I came home from work it was almost done. :goodjob .you can click on the picture for a larger view.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Well our new Freedom 225 is in the driveway, but the wife totally nixed the Blackheart name. There's room on the transom for a non-intrusive name graphic. I don't know if I want to do it now or not.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I found it easier to have a name on the boat. Also generates lots of questions from fellow boaters.

zimm

Reaction score
For those of us with motor wells, what size letters are best for the transom to the right of the motor?

lgusto

Reaction score
One funny note....a guy at our marina named his boat after his mother. When I said that was a bit odd since many guys name a boat after their wife the guy said "My mother's name never changes!"