How many of you name your boats?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CaptKennyW said:
I cant decide what to name my boat...im thinking about Interceptor or Tuna Helper. :(

Here's a few...

Tuna Tow-Teler
Fish-Tow
Captain Tuna
Tuna Tug
Captain Krunch
Fish Barge
Tuna Fossy
Tuna Master
Tuna Fly
Tuna Trophy
Reel Tuna
Trophy Reel
Reel-Tow

Or tie something into your locale.
When we brainstorm for themes and tag lines we throw everything out there no matter how dumb or corny, it serves to spur thoughts and ideas so more can come out. Mix and match, come up with something that fits you.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
there are a few songs titles that may work. i dont know ill probally end up selling it soon anyway... :cry:

Gary M

Reaction score
We named our 1993 208 Grady the "Chilly Bin". My wife is a New Zealander and in NZ a "chilly bin" is a slang word for a cooler or igloo. She never liked the name and we never put the name on the boat.

Our 1994 252 Sailfish was named "Harbournate" after the song by The Barefoot Man. The name was on the sides of the hull.

Our current boat, a 2001 Marlin we named "HEY MON!" That is a common greeting in the Bahamas where we spend most of our summers. I also though that it would sound hilarious on the radio over there!

"Sea Crest Marina, this is the vessel Hey Mon inbound to the Marina and looking for our slip assignment please"

"Hey Mon, we be waitin' for you on de seawall Mon"!

I found a GREAT graphics guy who did a fantastic job on the decal. We came up with the name font/style and since our house/dock has three huge coconut palms out by the boat, we wanted that incorporated into the decal. The guy used the same color of blue and gold that G-W uses now in a shadow-box type print and he placed a palm tree in between the two words. I was very happy with the result! I have a name in mind for the next boat, but that's a secret right now..........

Here's the HEY MON! at her regular slip at Sea Crest Marina in Bimini with the New Zealander aboard in 2006. We had owned the boat for only 12 days when this photo was taken! She now is equipped with a Furuno NavNet with a 4-foot open array antenna.....

JennHeyMon.jpg

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
My 21 YO daughter has come up with a name for my new 2008 225 Tournament. She says we ought to call it "Lake Shark". Here's her logic;
Grady White sounds like Great White, Great White = shark, We keep the boat @ Lake Cumberland, ergo "Lake Shark". Any comments gang?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
capt chris said:
My 21 YO daughter has come up with a name for my new 2008 225 Tournament. She says we ought to call it "Lake Shark". Here's her logic;
Grady White sounds like Great White, Great White = shark, We keep the boat @ Lake Cumberland, ergo "Lake Shark". Any comments gang?

I like that name.What a bright girl.Congrats on the new name,because you can't say no to a girl when says"daddyyyyy".Believe me, i know, i have a 14 year old daughter,in the middle of two boys, and she is ALL THE MONEY. :D

Down Time 226

Reaction score
I am in construction (grading, paving, concrete, etc), which is heavy equipment and truck intensive. Breakdowns are common, and this is known as down time...Down time is the always the most expensive of expenses. You rarely expect it and it the true cost is difficult to predict until you are back up and running. So I named my boat Down Time.

My brother had a 28 footer he really couldn't afford, but he got a lot of use and enjoyment out of it. It was named "Running On Empty". Not a bad name.

jbukie

Reaction score
Recently purchased an '03 222 fisherman. I've been playing around with ideas for names.

Catch 22 - its a 22 foot boat, and ideally i want to catch fish

Zatara - The count of monte cristo is one of my favorite movies. It's from that.

nothing but net - Basketball has been a big part of my life. I even played some D1 ball. This is probably in the lead at the moment.

What do you think? Any ideas?

Johjn

J-cubed

Reaction score
Name your boat and make it personal. I also own a 208 named J-cubed (J to the third power) after Jim, Jan and Jennifer. Worry about taking the name off later when you sell it. If you use vinyl lettering it should not be that hard to remove.

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Names on the HULL side

Anyone have the name on the AFT HULLSIDE and use trailer side boards??
My side boards will be right where the name is and I am afraid it will rub on them during launch and retrieve, damaging them.
Any experiance??
Jim

townvet

Reaction score
We named ours "Knot@Work" because when I am on the boat....I am not at work. Simple...and true.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Names on the HULL side

Jimontheroad said:
Anyone have the name on the AFT HULLSIDE and use trailer side boards??
My side boards will be right where the name is and I am afraid it will rub on them during launch and retrieve, damaging them.
Any experiance??
Jim

Maybe guides instead of boards? My graphics are 'bus-wrap' vinyl. They've been on there for three years now. Only damaged one, reprinted the damaged section and replaced. At about 5 years will reprint the whole thing and reapply.

DSC00217.jpg

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boat Names

Our first Grady was a 204 Overnighter that we couldn't afford and should not have purchased what with two small kids, a house note, 2 car notes and one income.

We didn't intend to name it because at first I thought it a good chance the bank would own it. For the first 5 or 6 months that we owned it, it was common for me to ask if we were able to pay the boat note yet? "Boat Note" kinda stuck but we dressed it up with a couple of music notes so people would think I was musically inclined instead of just broke.

I just bought my third Grady, a 283 Release and have not yet decided on a name.

Is it permissable to use a good scotch instead of champagne and can I use the re-naming ceremony for the initial naming?

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I like to read the different ways people come up with boat names so I'll share mine.
About every two weeks my 2 sons and several friends get together and have what we call an "eating meeting" along with a few beer where we cook out then play cards.
I had just bought my grady and several of the guys were joking about me taking them fishing and I responded that I would be real selective about who goes fishing with me. As soon as I said that one person said that would be a great name for my boat so "Reel Selective " was born.
I love the name and think all boats should have a name.
I just put the name on and as soon as possible I'll have a new picture on the website.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Guess I'm boring.......I named my boat after my wife........have had her for 30+ yrs (my wife that is) and it's been good so far..........figured why not!

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
84Offshore
Nothing wrong with naming your boat after your wife but my wife and I have only been married 40 years and we still are not sure it"s going to work out. I would hate to have to change the name if our marriage doesn't work out.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Boat Names!

Hello to all! Always figured on naming my boat "ROCKSEA" because of my love for rocknroll music and the sea! Little did I know I would wind up with a Grady that already carried the perfect name! "JUMPNJACK" is true to her name as she bounds across the swells! As I upgraded the lettering for her new homeport of Chattahoochee Florida, I noticed the faint signs of a previous name. After several days of getting the sunlight just right I was finally able to make it out. Her maiden name was the "SEVENSHES" and her homeport was NEW YORK NY. I figure that the original owner must have had seven wifes, seven daughters or seven girlfriends! I always heard that it was bad luck to rename a vessel and since this one had been renamed previously, I was more than happy that it already had the right name! Any of you New Yorkers ever remember seeing this old girl around? What is the exact protocal for a renaming ceremony? 8)

GW woody

Reaction score
Boat names

I have always named my boats the same way the commercial guys do, after their wives or the children. Hence JOLENE is the name of my boat.