How much abuse can my canvas take?

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi guys,

This is my first Grady and it has what I call "grady style" canvas. VERY hard to remove and install compared to other boats I've seen. Has tracks on every piece which is strong but makes it a pain to remove. Like a puzzle.

Anyway, bottomline is I want to tow 70 miles with it on the freeway at 60mph. Do you think it can take it?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Drifter,

I have a bimini top and sides, I trailer it going 65mph for years now, no issues.

I would think your hardtop and curtains would handle more if needed.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think if you trailer it with it deployed you may very well learn an expensive lesson.

Roll the curtains up and secure them.

My bimini is stored, and, if I'm going more than about 30 minutes on the highway, folded down into the cockpit of the boat. Not going to take a chance on it getting shredded.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I paid to much for my new enclosure, it will be rolled up or removed before I would do what you're asking. Rather be safe than sorry. Your boat, your call.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't like taking that chance with mine, either. Dust/dirt/debris kicking up... how much it actually hurts it, I suppose, is a big variable. But it can't be better for it, you know?

Sound like you just need to clean the tracks and the spine. Treat it with some silicone spray. I don't clean the tracks/spine as much as I should, but they slide right in plenty easily.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Rolling it up and storing it away while on the highway is something you wished you did when something happens to the canvas while doing 60 mph
That's a guarantee

tilewave

Reaction score
the more i rolled mine up & down the more it became easier to do learning the ins/outs. with that being said, i would roll it up when traveling
for 2 reasons
- not to risk damaging or losing any pieces
-more aerodynamic....less resistance on your truck

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Perhaps if your snap are good, mine are not. Unsnap them.. Mine are original 20+ year old and probably welded on

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I routinely trailer a couple times of year from NC to Florida. I recall one trip I "forgot" to remove them and left the front curtains up. I was driving in the predawn hours on 95 through the salt marsh section in Georgia near Brunswick. We hit a swarm of bugs for a few miles. My front curtains were coated in insect parts secured on by insect body fluids. It took a lot of abuse and it was a PITA to clean. If you travel in Florida during love bug season you will regret it.

Curtains blow out and slide out of the channels. It's an expensive proposition.

Reactions: Heyspike

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I travel without the front clears, always in the cab but leave the side clears on even on short trips.
We get bugs here in summer as well. Traveling on the motorway at 68 mph they smash on the front of the hardtop and drop dead on the floor. I can only imagine the mess on the front clears if left on whilst trailering besides I don't need the extra wind resistance. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove and put back on.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Fronts rolled up and sides in place for short (10-15 miles max) and slow (50 mph or less) trips. Anything more and the enclosure gets removed and the bimini collapsed back (I have rear upright supports).

Your biggest risk would be bugs/debris hitting the front clears. They’re usually pretty durable but it’s disappointing to see them all dirty/smudged right before launching.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Your rolling the dice if you trailer without securing it.
If the snaps come loose and the canvas flaps in the wind it’ll beat your gel coat to death. Those snaps will murder it.
On the other hand there’s a chance nothing will happen and it is a pain stowing it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd open and roll up what I can. I wouldn't take it down though.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My 226 it made no difference. It saw 40+ mph every time it left the buoy, and I didn't go much over 55 while trailering. 226 factory canvas was TOUGH, but I can really only speak to the one model...