How much do you tip a dock hand when docking or getting gas?

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Just curious what people consider a reasonable tip when a dock hand helps you tie up at a dock or when you come in for gas? Often times I'll tie up at a marina for a short time and the dock hand from the marina will be at the slip and take a line or two? Likewise when I come into the gas dock, there will be someone there to help me tie up and get gas and then push off. I have a 27' boat so the tie up part is fairly easy. When getting gas it's a bit more involved since I have a 200 gallon tank (although I try not to let it get below 100 gallons so that the hit isn't quite as big). Even so, 100 gallons is a 15 - 20 minute fill up.

I'd appreciate any insight as to what others do. I'm boating in the Newport Rhode Island area.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't know if this is exactly right but I do not tip the guys at my home marina unless they help with the pump out or run get ice etc. If I am visiting a marina I will tip 2 or 3 bucks for a helping me get to the right slip.

I always tip 5 dollars if they pump out the poop tank no matter where I am. In fact I tip myself 5 bucks for pumping out the poop tank.

georgemjr

Reaction score
At a dock I usually end up throwing a $20 in and if necessary out - it kills me. At a gas dock, when I have cash on me, up to $5 - sometimes less, when I am paying with credit, I sometimes have to stiff the guy (it's not like a restuarant with a gratuity section). I boat on Long Island and am paying the dock fees at Fire Island - not the cheapest place to be docking or boating.

uncljohn

Reaction score
I try to give $3-$5 tip to the kids at the fuel dock. They normally act suprised. When I go to one of the local restaurants w/ a dock, I don't tip.

DB

Reaction score
tipping

Just to help with dock lines how long does that take...two min. a couple bucks is all they can expect...pumping the gas $5.

jtsailjt

Reaction score
I think that the previous posters are pretty much in the mainstream as far as tipping dock boys go. But the situation does vary, for example if they're acting like they'd prefer that you'd hurry up and move on so they could get back to lounging, etc. OR if they're especially attentive and helpful and do what they're supposed to. If someone just grabs my dock lines during a routine docking, I say thanks and that's about it, after all it's only a few seconds of their time and usually I'd prefer that they don't touch them anyway. But if they help me with the water hose or with fueling or in some other way, I always tip at least $5 and if they're really helpful, $10 or occasionally more. My last boat was a 44' sailboat, and a new paint job was just under $10K, so I found it prudent to keep the local dock workers eager to look out for my interests both during docking/fueling and when I wasn't around, because they are always around the harbor and see/hear pretty much everything that goes on. Over the course of a whole season, the total amount of tips I paid out were in the $100-$200 range, very cheap insurance!

Bama96

Reaction score
At my marina they help tie me up and hand me the pump. They get me a barrel of ice as well so I tip $5. Usually $10 for getting me frozen bait and the ice. Like others have said attitude is everything. Ofcourse it dose not hurt that they are usually cute girls in tight shorts. 8)

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Did they help or not? Bottom line, sorry to be mean, but if they just stand there and hand you the fuel line after you tie up, lucky you get $5. If you help me dock, tie lines off, secure fenders, etc, more. If you bring me ice, whatever, more. If your actions make you think you will help me cast off and get away with no scrapes, more.

Bottom line, I look at $10-20 per hand depending on what they do - or don't do - start finish. If you are fueling up with 200-300 gallons of gas and they help a lot and your tab is $700-1,000 and the dock hands help out, reward them.

Also - LITTLE KNOWN BUT IMPORTANT - have you ever told a dock hand what you want them to do? Bet few have.

Too many people just pull in and then make judgements based on what these kids do. OK, these days, maybe older adults, but still....

Do you ask for assistance in tying off? Getting underway? Securing fenders and avoiding hoses making black marks on the deck? I find that if you ask for help you will get it. Otherwise, well, it's not really them not paying attention, is it?

Just my 2 cents.....

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I always get my fuel from the same place and basically are two people working the gas pumps (one at a time), i kn ow them for veeeeeery long time, so i tip well, 10-20, but they do help a lot with tying the boat, make sure i don't hit the side of my boat(one spot is very tricky), and also pump out the holding tank, i thing they are doing a good job and what i really like is that they NEVER spilled gas or rub the hose on my gunnels, that is worth to me, so i say 10-20 bucks is fair. Many many moons ago i use to work only with tips so i can pay some of my tuition and i was happy when i was getting a nice tip, so i do the same now, as long as i can afford it.
FWIW, i was parking cars at a seafood restaurant and was making more than the waiters and more than a lot of average people. I also got to drive almost every car, including a RR with a shifter i have never seen back then, it was the size of the blinker shift rod with an electric transfer, not cable, i thought that was cool 27 years ago.