How much gas?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gents,
Draining tanks because of questionable fuel quality. Need to add, via 5-gal buckets, enough fuel to go from launch ramp to closest fuel dock, about 5-miles away. Twin 100-gal tanks; how much fuel do you think I need to add to empty tanks to get this far? Nope, can't fill up on the road, rig is too tall to get into local gas station. Thanks Guys!

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There is not enough information for anyone to guess unless they have the exact same rig and know how many times you need to get on a plane, how fast you intend to go and what the sea and load conditions are.

Best guess, since not all gas you put in the tank is usable, I would put 10 gallons in the tank and carry an extra 5 gallons in a safety can in case I needed it.

Hope this helps.

richie rich

Reaction score
why not use 2 five gallon porta tanks and forget putting any in the aluminum tank....you'll need too much gas just for the pick up tube to work right...and then you're draining it again....figure a gallon per mile minimum

seasick

Reaction score
10 gallons per motor and take it easy. That should be enough

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie rich said:
why not use 2 five gallon porta tanks and forget putting any in the aluminum tank....you'll need too much gas just for the pick up tube to work right...and then you're draining it again....figure a gallon per mile minimum

X2

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 5-gal can thing tieing in at the prime bulbs was the first thing I thought of. Problem is it's a busy gas pier and I would be taking extra time hooking up. Might have a problem with prime, or what else, who knows.
I need to recall some high school math to figure out the volume of a rectangle; then guess and how high the pick-up is from the bottom of the tank; and do the math to see how high 10-gal is going to be off the bottom of the tank. I was figuring 30-gal needed per tank. Am I on the right track or pi$$ing in the wind?

richie rich

Reaction score
You're not pissing in the wind, but it will be windy..........you're forgetting about the sloshing around the gas will do while underway....there's no volume calculation for that....just more gas........I don't see a problem using the porta tanks...every small boat uses them.....set them up before getting to the pier and don't worry about a litle extra time if needed, it happens. LxWxH if you decide to take a leak.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't understand. You said you drained the bad gas and need to fill with good gas if this is correct take four 5 gallon gas cans to the dock where the good gas is and buy 20 gallons of the good stuff. Come back to your boat and put it in your tank. then motor to the dock and fill up. If you need more than 20 gallons for rough seas buy extra cans or make two trips. You don't have to drain the good gas.
Am I missing somthing here?

georgemjr

Reaction score
I had my auxillary tank completely empty, but brought 20 gallons in jugs to move my boat. I put the gas into the aux tank. When I ran out of fuel in the main, I switched over to use the auxillary. Since I had removed all the weight from the back of the boat (by burning all available fuel), the boat was sitting bow low, stern high. I wasn't able to access any of the twenty gallons I had put in the auxillary tank since it was sitting in the front of the tank, away from the pickup. Therefore, I would make sure you use the rear tank to add the weight to the back. Unfortunately there is no calculation to determine how much you will need. Since your intention is to drive it to a gas dock for a fill, why not make sure you put extra in. It's a bit of a pain in the a$$ but will be less of one than running out.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
And to add a thought or two, Gas at the local auto filling station will be cheaper and fresher this time of the year. Well maybe not depending on where you are located(like Florida). But up here in New York I won't get marina gas until they get the first or second delivery in the spring. I would also add extra additive of your choice. Water will be on the bottom looking to get into your seperators. Carry spare filters and a filter wrench or atleast a plastic bucket in case you need to dump water out of the filters.

Bob

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would be nice if the water did go to the bottom of the tank. Problem is, the ethanol mixes with water and fouls the gas (phase separates). That's the problem I have now; gas was cloudy and looked like ice tea. I have the vent type gas caps and the O-rings where missing from both caps. No tellin' how much water got in the tanks. That Startron is amazing stuff. I treated the tanks a week ago and the gas is back to it's natural color and is crystal clear. Still don't trust it though. Glad George chimed in, I was going to add just 30-gal but that may not be enough.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you use the cary-on tanks, have an extra 5 gallon jug for each, better to be safe and you can always pour it in later. If you use the boat's tank(s), I'd put in at least 30 gallons if you're dry. My aux tank (Sailfish) starts to suck air with 5 gallons left out of 50 while running.