How much water ...

PA228G

Reaction score
Need to make a decision on a long-term slip. Bottom is typical plough mud. At some point, I'd like to move up to a bigger boat (not with my tax cut !!!). For owners of either a 265 Express or 27 Islander - what is the minimum low water you would feel comfortable with? Thanks in advance.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've ran my 265 Express in with about 1.8ft of water with engines trimmed up a bit and never hit. Grady claims 15" hull draft which is not far off, and the engines do not stick a ft below I don't think. I'd say 2.5 ft should be plenty. I will be down at the boat next weekend and will take an actual measurement for you to let you know. Also, I have 4 strokes so I sit lower then a 265 with 2 strokes. I will get you the actual number nest weekend.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
My marina gets low - like 2 feet of so - my 265 draws less water than my 25' Bayliner trophy did (stern drive trophy)

The good think about the 265 is that the cabin is the lowest point in the water - in other words, in mud the cabin will slide and stop, if the cabin makes it, the motors (trimmed up) will make it!

Just remember - steering backing up is nearly non-existant with the motors trimmed way up!

Tim

jehines3

Reaction score
I would naver back down in less than a 2 foot slip. Thats allot of spinning SS to get screwed if the tide is really low that day.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You don't want to suck mud every time you dock either.

alwood0422

Reaction score
I get down to about 3 foot at the end of the season, but the weeds get so thick it begins to clog my intakes or foul the prop so bad I can't maneuver. I am asking for a deeper slip next year. I didn't like my alarm going off, or having to clean my intakes. It got so bad I couldn't flush it with reverse, I had to raise the engine and brush them off the intakes.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
How much water

I take my Islander out of a 1 1/2 boat-wide coral canal in FL keys in the winter. Not very forgiving! Sometimes less than 2 feet of water. I trim the motors up and sometimes I only put one motor down. Bump the engine skeg occasionally but we have not bottomed the boat.

As far as backing up its really pretty easy - I don't do it. When we get to the dock someone gets on the dock, we grab the lines and pull the boat back into the slip. My fishing buddy ribs me about it but its 100% safe and gets the job done.

PA228G

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. My measurements indicated 2.5-3 ft (min) at low tide so it sounds like its close.