how often do you run WOT

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I participated in a prop thread here on a fellow 228 owner. He propped his boat for max speed at WOT. It got me thinking. In saltwater use more than half the time my motor use is for trolling speeds for dolohin and tuna. Freshwater I cruise and do water sports. I rarely take her up to 6,000 RPMs. I do it in the spring to run the motor through its paces as it were but most of the time I am running it between 4,000 and 4500.

I am wondering how others run their boats big and small. I ran my 192 the same way. Note there is nothing wrong being a WOT guy. I am curious though about how folks run their Gradys. When I am the lake i rarely see a guy in a bass boat not running WOT- lol

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Mine is propped to put WOT within the max recommended range, bumping the upper limit when very light. I might do it other times if my cruise numbers are askew, but rarely. It's a personal thing, and I've never been one to think outboards need to be run hard. They don't, and I won't without good reason. One outboard ran 20 years, the next16, the next ran great when I sold it after 7. In all three cases, the boat was being replaced, not the engine ... :wink:

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Rarely. Once in awhile if the conditions are right, which is seldom around my way, I'll put it to the stop. Who wants to get get beat up out there? When I sold my boat and they put the computer on it, out of 600+ hrs, I had 10 at WOT.

GOA

Reaction score
Between boat traffic and weather we are seldom at WOT...however, if my son is at the wheel all that changes quickly!!!
GOA :wink:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Maybe once a year, if that. Once every couple months, I'll run up to 3/4 throttle. 5100-5300 approx, just to keep it cleaned out in there, but only for 20-30 seconds.

I'm with Curmudegon; I see no reason to work them hard; Mostly I'm between 3600-3900RPM's. My top cruise is 4400 at 36 MPH, but i rarely run in that register either.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I try to run mine up near 5500 for a couple minutes every trip out...not always feasible but if I can, I will.

I find that stretching it's legs every now and then doesn't hurt.

mboyatt

Reaction score
I run my 192 Tournament with 200 hp Evinrude Ocean Pro at WOT whenever conditions allow. However, never for long periods of time. Will run it at WOT for a minute, then back her down to 4200 rpm or so. I will do that a couple of times each outing if conditions are good. Not sure why I do it. Partly because I like how the boat feels like it is floating on air with the motor trimmed right. And it screams like a bat out of hell.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Mboyat,
When the lake is glass or when I am in the Keys and air is still and Hawk Channel barely has a ripple, l let the boat get up there in speed. You are right it is like riding on air.. i think my motor has maybe 10 hours max of WOT time out of nearly 750 hours. I bet it is less.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
When does Hawk Channel barely have a ripple and the air is still? I need to go when you go...

fischer

Reaction score
Every trip for about one minute, just before I get back to the marina, at the urging of my mechanic. Other than that, I'm pretty conservative.

Firenailer

Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing from any mechanics here on the Board.

I usually run it up if conditions allow just to clean it out after trolling around or repeated starts and stops while fishing. It seems like a good idea to blow it out for a few minutes but I'd like to hear what a pro thinks.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I try to peg mine every time out when possible to blow out the carbon and I think it is a good engine check to see if she winds out properly. If it doesn't, then suspect fuel issues or other upcoming issues.
Ran my former 986 omc seadrive the same way, being under powered on the previous boat, it had to run near wide open all the time. I can't count the hours on it after 26 years, but was still running strong. Mechanic said the compression was perfect and I also had checked it a couple times through the years. I did lose a powerhead but that was due to clogged thermostat and overheating with the overheat alarm not working to let me know before it was too late.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
ROBERTH said:
I try to peg mine every time out when possible to blow out the carbon and I think it is a good engine check to see if she winds out properly. If it doesn't, then suspect fuel issues or other upcoming issues.

As above, almost every trip as we hit the smooth water inside Little Creek Inlet. Great check that all is well as they spin up near 6000RPM.

Brian

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
MagicBill, I have had a handful of calm days in June and more in July especially in the morning where you could water ski to the stream and back. One summer I was fishing in 1500 feet of water along a weedline and up comes a dude in a bass boat. That was how calm and flat it was plus it was freaking hot. They do happen down there, mainly in July-August.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just a handful times a year. Must be calm water, excellent visibility and flat seas. Just not in a hurry that often and don't need to go fast I guess.

fshlbi

Reaction score
I'm on board with fisher. I try to exercise it occasionally, usually at end of the day trip, as I do not get to use the boat often enough. I want to make sure it gets some exercise.