How often to change seacock?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
My 2004 180 Sportsman still has the original bronze seacock and thru-hull fitting for the live well. It looks and feels fine, very rigid when I turn the valve handle, so I have no reason to believe anything is wrong.
Are these type fittings usually replaced at a certain age as scheduled maintenance or is yearly visual inspection the deciding factor?

thanks,

Rob

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Thanks, I was thinking of the through hull more than the actual valve, which seems very solid.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks, I was thinking of the through hull more than the actual valve, which seems very solid.
Your comment was "It looks and feels fine, very rigid when I turn the valve handle" which is why I responded about the seacock. But you're also asking about the bronze thru-hull? For the most part, bronze is a lifetime product.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Sorry for the confusion, my fault. Bronze is lifetime, that's all I need to know.

thanks,

Rob

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
hehe "lifetime".... when it goes bad thats its lifetime.

There is no set number of years before replacement. Look at them for loss of metal. scratch test to see that they are not pink.

When the day comes to strip and re-barrier coat and paint the whole 20+ year old boat, I would say that is the time to replace all of them regardless of condition.
Start the next lifetime...

Last edited:

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Boat was trailered until 2 years ago when I bought it. I did the barrier coat then. I'm 67, if I still have it in 20 years someone else will be doing that work...;)

Reactions: SkunkBoat

seasick

Reaction score
Your thrus are probably the scoop/thru hull combo type. These casting have ribs that allow water and small things to pass but block larger items.
The ribs will degrade over time and can collect marine growth such as barnacles depending on where you boat. My point is that the strainer sections should be inspected/cleaned each season. If you notice that the ribs are corroded aor missing, the fitting probably needs replacement. Typically though, good quality bronze scoops last a long time.
Here is a link to a typical combo scoop