How to Access Batteries on 2008 282 Sailfish?

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I understand the batteries on the 282 Sailfish are located behind the fold down seat, and possibly under the stern livewell. What does it take to access these batteries? Do I need to unscrew panels, remove the seat or remove the livewell. I am an hour's drive from the boat so I am trying to plan what tools I need to bring with me in order to access the batteries. Thanks for any input

Fishtales

Reaction score
Mine was the older molded in seat. It was pretty nice for transom/aft access.
I believe there is a trash bucket on the port size that comes out and the batteries are right under. It's that way on the Marlin as well. I believe there is good access with nothing other than the trash bucket that simply lifts out to remove. My Sailfish was a 2002 though.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fishtales, thanks for the input. That sounds pretty easy. I'll let you know what I find later this week when I climb over the blocks and unsnap the winter cover.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm not positive if the newer 282's are like the 270's, but if it is, battery access will be a challenge. You won't need special tools to access the batteries, but removing them is a physical PIA. To make it less painful, a thick foam pad or even cardboard to lay face down on will reduce bruising your chest and arms. Also be careful not to catch the back of your head on the latch plate when you slide back out of the bilge.
If you need to remove the batteries, you will need some serious upper body strength to get them out. If you don't, you'll need to find someone that does.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree, the trash bucket hole isn't the largest, bring some long arm work gloves and you should be fine. The glass on the underside of the aft area can be a little sharp and you have to reach down to get at the batteries.

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just pulled up the '08 brochure on Grady's site and it looks just like my '05. There's no pull out trash bin. I'm not sure how hard it is to get the rear fish box out but the batteries are directly below it. My batteries are/were newish when I bought my boat a few months ago but I've looked at mine thru the drop down panel under the rear seat. When I looked at mine I thought the batteries had to come out thru that under seat vertical drop down door (seat removed) and it would be a royal pain.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm looking at the 2008 brochure page 36 for the Sailfish and there is an aft fishbox and what I believe is the trash bin cover next to it on the port side. If it is like the Marlin, which I believe it is, you open the hatch and remove the molded trash bin liner and the batteries are right under. Again, I may be incorrect as mine was a 2002 with the molded in aft seat.

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fishtales, you are correct about the pullout trash bin on port side beside the fishbox. I have that on my '05. When I pull that out on mine it doesn't help much accessing my 3 batteries as they are (going from memory here) under the fishbox but from the middle of it towards the starboard side.

On mine, pulling that trash bin gives easy access to the on board battery charger which is mounted on left when looking down.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Will try to pull both the trash bin and the fish box. I'll give an update once i climb onto the boat later this week.

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Will try to pull both the trash bin and the fish box. I'll give an update once i climb onto the boat later this week.
Subscribed to see what you find about the fish box. I just remembered the main reason I was looking at it. It wasn't for battery access but looked at fish box removal because I'd like to surface mount some rod holders on the vertical wall just aft of it (in front of the engines). I would need the box out of the way to thru bolt it with washers and nuts.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I found the access to the batteries. There is a panel behind the aft fold-down bench seat. Open the panels and the batteries sit on a shelf beneath the livewell. Not a lot of clearance or room to work with. Looks like they would have to be removed one after the other, starting with the battery on the port side. Also looks like they need to come out the access panel, not up through the livewell, as it is permanently mounted. The bait well to the port side of the livewell is removeable, but the fuel/water filetrs are mounted there, plus the battry charger, so no wat to get the batteries out that way. I am posting several pics FYI. Also adding a pic of the fuel filters looking down through the bait well, with the basket removed.

Attachments

• IMG_6241.jpg
    IMG_6241.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6242.jpg
    IMG_6242.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6243.jpg
    IMG_6243.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6244.jpg
    IMG_6244.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6245.jpg
    IMG_6245.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6293.jpg
    IMG_6293.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Put some dielectric grease on the battery connectors before reinstalling

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for confirming Robbo, that's what I thought as well (fishbox not removable). So, remove seat/mount, lay on belly/side, remove heavy azz batteries at arms length. When I was younger I could replace them but couldn't afford this boat. Now that I can afford I'm too old and weak. Life can be cruel. :confused::cool:

j/k - gotta attack this with our brains vs. brawn. A thin, short bridge can be cut from plywood to span the distance from the battery tray to the opening. Disconnect battery and slide it towards you.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Topsul, good idea to build a tray, I like that. My other concern is disconnecting the back terminal. It looks like a bear to reach. Hopefully I can slide the battery forward a bit, then disconnect it.

Reactions: PointedRose

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Your access looks better then my 305. Probably just have to muscle them out or pay a kid at the marina to do it. The other problem is as you mentioned getting the wires off the terminals, not a lot of space to work. I have found that smaller 1/4" socket wrench is you friend here, less likely to hit the other terminal and create an arc. A removable fix box here would be a much better design, and allow so much better access to many things.