How To Change Wiper Blade; 2007 282. Success - Thanks!

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Rather than break something, I'll show my ignorance. I can't change a wiper blade!

I assumed that lifting the tab and pulling the blade would do it, but no. Maybe pressing that disc? Nope.

Probably its just the fact that it has been on there for thirteen years. So I sprayed it down and let it set for a few days and still nothing moved. But I didn't really pull anything too hard. I'd rather have a corroded blade than a bent blade.

I did do a search here, but found nothing specific to this question. Which leads me to ask, has anyone changed this style of blade?

jHr1rYN.jpg

Tx, Rob

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
On my old ones the pivot point (blade assembly/wiper arm) was a screw you removed to change the blade assembly.

Windshield wiper blades. NAPA 60-1870 blade assembly. $9.99. Blade only 60-1805 $5.99. Old prices...

I don't remember what I currently have on the boat. Looks like I replaced complete wiper down to the drive motor.
IMG_1195.jpeg

Last edited:

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
With some needle nose pliers, lift that small spring plate and pull it down (away from the blade). Then twist the connector piece away from the arm and it should just lift out. If you look at the top of that little swivel piece (left side in your picture just above that little screw on the arm), you will see a dimple that holds it in place with the tension of the spring plate. You just need to pop the swivel piece off that dimple.
I know this sounds confusing, but I'm not sure how else to articulate it. If you post some more pictures from different angles, I would be happy to try to write some more detail.
For what it's worth: I bought just the rubber replacement blade - not the whole stainless arm. I paid $7 for the pair of them from an auto parts store instead of $26 each from West Marine.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Keitha: You have given me hope. I think I follow. Both of the stainless blade holders have a fair amount of corrosion. And, truth be told, I somewhat mangled the slide channels on one of the holders making a too-narrow blade fit in a pinch. Now Its time to pay the price for making that blade fit in a pinch.

Tx, Rob

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Here are a couple photos with new pieces that show the hole which complements the metal bump. For refills you need to look for "twin rail blades with square claws."

I the original AFI arms and a Trico 45-200 fits those. I bought some black plastic arms and my Trico refills are a bit too short. So I found a blade online that snap off to the correct length. Of course I cannot find that part number now.

I20201111_154541.jpg20201111_154555.jpg

Reactions: wahoo33417

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Is stay away from wipers that have plastic integral to them. Here is a blade holder that I didn't notice had plastic on the attachment. You can see the failure. I use wipers almost every trip, and rotten days they are on all day.20201111_162204.jpg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
NAPA is your friend for the old style stainless "school bus" wiper blades and arms. Part numbers above are helpful. You may need different lengths.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Everyone: Thank you for the advise, photos and links. I couldn't have asked for a more helpful group of responses. Headed to the boat today to do some cleaning now that Eta has passed (best wishes to everyone in northern peninsula). Will be a little more forceful now that I'm confident in how it should come off. And I have a link to a new arm if it doesn't!

Tx, Rob