how to clean hull at mooring

peter devine

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a sailfish on a mooring and my hull is stained like I abuse my boat. How can I clean this crap off the waterline ? I waxed it prior to launch several times with collinite, compound, buff wax, wax buff, wax buff etc. It looks like I never waxed it.

striped bass

Reaction score
A scum line always develops, wax or no wax. A good boat soap and foam brush should do the job. Some "On Off" may also be needed in tough spots.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A scum line is hard to prevent even with the best waxes if the water where the boat is stored is tinted brown and fairly dirty. Best thing you can do is wash the water line often, I would use a soft boat brush, I use a shur hold soft brush with orpine boat wash/wax. I do it about every week and half and it prevents much of the cum line, but not all of it. It is a lot less noticable then in past years where I left it alone, but almost nothing will keep it off during the year. I can get it off 100% in the fall, I never let it sit and stain for the winter, but even with multiple layers of wax it comes back during the year to some extent. The more you clean and use the boat the less it will stain, but if the waters where the boat is kept are brown and tinted you cannot avoid it all together.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
How high is paint line above water line?

You may want to get 4 inches or more there.

Perhaps mid season, jump off boat for a dip, and take scrub brush and go around boat.

I raised the water line this year, less brown staining. And I clean it off when I see it grow, at least at stern and along cockpit on sides.

peter devine

Reaction score
Thanks.
I thought about increasing the height of the bottom paint. I have T225 Yamahas with ss props and the waterline w/o fresh water holding and keeping gas around 75 gallons in main tank still allows the scuppers to be almost submerged. The problem is while on mooring when it gets windy the water slaps all over the place. I just jump in and wassh it best I can for now. What do I use to clean it when its on the hard?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you can't get it off with the brush, you let it sit too long.

Get a green scotchbrite pad, moderate pressure on the rub should take it right off, press no harder than necessary. If the boat was out of the water, you would probaly need compound to get it out at this point. I get the wave slap too and have to compound it out.

Next season be sure to wax the area, if it is waxed will clean off a lot easier, and clean off every week or two, and raise the paint line.