How to clean oil out of bilge?

BillBones

Reaction score
I just bought a 1981 Pacific 221, and the previous owner told me he changed the oil by draining the engine oil into the bilge. Further proof that some people should not own boats…

Any suggestions on how I can clean the oil out of the bilge? I started with a degreaser from the automotive section at Walmart, which works ok with scrubbing. But I would like something that can get into areas a scrub brush can't get too. Any suggestions? Thanks.

image_lmfsec.jpg

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Try undiluted Simple Green.

Let it sit on the affected area for a few hours and then hit it with pressure hose. Even a garden hose with a good stream should do the job. I've had good luck degreasing diesel engines with that approach and I use Simple Green in my bilge once per year for general maintenance.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I second that, Simple Green works very well.
But wow, that's something. :roll: Oh and then what pull the drain plug?
If you buy a boat you'd better be able to do the maintenance properly or have the initiative to learn, or have the ability to pay another to do it for you...and hope he/she knows what they are doing. I've got some wiring issues from the prior owner but yours is one for the books.
Heres another idea. After the initial clean up on your first outing dump a bottle into the bilge and leave it there to slosh around getting to areas you couldn't reach or even know about while on the water. Simple green is great for general dirt and scum and I use it for even cleaning the foam pads on my car/boat polisher too.
Mike.

freddy063

Reaction score
I trick i do is put the soap of your choice in the bilge add water, pull the bilge pumps fuses and drive around on the trailer mixing it up drive splashes it all over in all the places you can't get to. then go back put a large tank under the bilge out pipes and put the fuses back in and let it pump it out. I get bilge cleaner from the boat shop it works great, cleans oil,blood, grim right out.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
I have found that a toilet bowl brush is awesome for awkward areas of the bilge and boat nether regions that resist attack with a normal scrub brush.

Just don't keep the toilet bowl brush on the boat, most are not "marine" grade, and will rust.

Bob

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ditto what a couple of posters have said - my bilge was really grimy and I poured in bilge cleaner, shut of the bilge and added some fresh water - took the boat out for the day and when I came home hit the bilges I was amazed - it looks like I crawled through the bilge with a tooth brush cleaning every nook and cranny! Good Luck